Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you stink ever since you bf?

Default Re: Do you stink ever since you bf?

It's probably a combination of everything! Less showers, hormones, sensitive smell, bacteria.... Never mind holding a little furnace of a baby in this heat! My 4 month old always wants to be against me, me holding her, something but she's so warm! Add to it the inevitable spit up that I'm typically wearing on my shirt and yeah, my personal BO is probably different than it was before having a baby. But I chalk it up to having a baby, not to breast feeding.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Thanks for the info on the vaginal odour! But my armpits stink too! Surely there are no hormones there.... My so is 14 weeks. It should be long enough for any pregnancy hormones to leave my body right?
    I feel like a skunk ever since I was pregnant! But I do feel better now. Thanks ladies!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*minigingerbread View Post
    Thanks for the info on the vaginal odour! But my armpits stink too! Surely there are no hormones there....
    But there are Lactobacillus species colonizing the skin too...

My so is 14 weeks. It should be long enough for any pregnancy hormones to leave my body right?
    I don't know, I was all sorts of sweaty from hormones for a surprisingly long time. I don't remember how long, but I was shocked that I was still losing so much water so long after giving birth.

I feel like a skunk ever since I was pregnant!
    This makes me think that manitobamommy might be right that your sense of smell may be stronger rather than your odor. My sense of smell was way more acute when I was pregnant.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    For all my nerd peeps-
    The original article, from PLoS1: http://www.plosone.org/article/info%...l.pone.0036466
    Much more readable article about the article, from the NY Times: http://nyti.ms/MBzq9E
    Thanks - I love bacteria! I really like the PLoS journals too. Open access is good for everyone.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Yes, I do smell stronger maybe like 2 or 3 months post partum too. How old is your baby? And I chalked it up to hormones regulating and also the post partum bleeding, and also I sweat alot at night especially post partum, I figured it was also hormonal and just from all the fluid exiting we take on as pregnant ppl. And regarding vaginal odor, I think those little plastic backed pantiliners make it worse! Things needs to breathe! Also, I have OS bad the first few months so I have lots of milk dribbles everywhere. It gets in my baby's neck and makes her funky, likewise, it can make me funky!

I read somewhere once that our smell sense is better while pregnant and nursing to help us detect "off" foods and limit our chances of eating bad food.

YES. I haven't read the links from mommal yet but I thought it was hormonal. Towards the end of pregnancy, I didn't smell AT ALL. Like I forgot to put on deodorant sometimes and there was no armpit smell, at all. And my sniffer was really sensitive, too. It made me think of my best friend who takes super high estrogen pills. She doesn't wear deodorant anymore, and doesn't smell a bit.

Then postpartum, I felt like I stunk. So I can relate. Smells were stronger everywhere and definitely motivation to make sure I took a shower. But I felt like it went pretty much back to normal about 8 weeks postpartum. How old is your baby?

Just wanted to chime in and say you're not alone!
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

This is a fascinating thread! I keep thinking, would it not make sense, from a survival-of-the-species-we-are-all-just-steps-away-from-the-cave point of view, for a mother's senses to be heightened when she has a newborn to protect? Hmmm. Have I found my topic for my next LLL meeting lol?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    This is a fascinating thread! I keep thinking, would it not make sense, from a survival-of-the-species-we-are-all-just-steps-away-from-the-cave point of view, for a mother's senses to be heightened when she has a newborn to protect? Hmmm. Have I found my topic for my next LLL meeting lol?
    Yep, makes sense!! We need to be able to smell the enemy, as well as stink ourselves, perhaps to ward off the enemy??

I wonder if our emotional/psychological senses become heightened, too. I know that before I had a kid, I didn't mind watching movies where children were in jeopardy or hurt- I could shrug it off as fictional. After I had a kid, a mildly sappy Kodak commercial could make me break into tears.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    I don't know, I was all sorts of sweaty from hormones for a surprisingly long time. I don't remember how long, but I was shocked that I was still losing so much water so long after giving birth.
    This was my first thought as well. I woke up in night sweats, practically drenched, for MONTHS after Joe was born. I think I was losing water weight from the pregnancy, plus something hormonal going on. I was definitely way sweatier than normal PP! I'm generally not a super sweaty person and can get away with only wearing deodorant on really hot days, but I perspired a lot more in those PP months. And I thought the smell was stronger too.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.