Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Back again for bleb help

Default Back again for bleb help

I posted a few weeks ago because of a plugged duct and suspected bleb. After some discussion, I thought maybe it was actually thrush I was battling, not a bleb. However, I'm back to thinking it's a bleb. So, here's why I'm back...

The white/yellow spot on my nipple remains, but the pain when my son nurses is pretty much gone as long as I leave the white spot alone between feedings. If, however, I attempt to open it up or "mess" with it, nursing becomes painful again. Do I need to do anything about the spot if it doesn't hurt? Someone recently asked on here if something would affect breastfeeding future children, and now I'm worried about that. I think this bleb might have impacted my supply on that side, but I'm not too concerned about it since my son seems to be slowly weaning on his own. So, do I need to do anything about the spot? Will it heal on its own? If I ignore it, will I have trouble nursing any future children I may have?

As always, thanks for any input!

Default Re: Back again for bleb help

Looks like this one got missed. Sorry, mama. How are things going now?

In general, I would say no pain = no problem. Sometimes a bit of whitish/yellowish callous will remain after the bleb is gone, and it usually eventually goes away without mom having to mess with it.

Don't worry about future children- if blebs affected your chances of success with future kids I never would have been able to nurse my second baby! But I actually had oversupply with her.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have one area on my right nipple that was a bleb, and it does get irritated when I nurse subsequent kids and when I pump for the current baby. It appeared when my oldest was a toddler, I was being lazy with the latch and I was pregnant too. It went away when he weaned but reappeared when the second was teething. Same thing for the third, and when I had to pump for the fourth from birth, it appeared immediately.

Painful, yes, reason to quit, no. It's a chance to work on the latch and to not be sloppy or due to teething or the like.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks for the responses. Things are currently better. I got tired of looking at the white spot last night and pulled it off. I guess it was a scab (or callous) of sorts. The milk behind it was initially more yellow than it should have been, but then whiter milk started coming out. I thought it would hurt like crazy when my son nursed afterwards, but it didn't hurt nearly as much as I thought. My nipple currently looks fairly normal and has only been mildly uncomfortable during nursing sessions. I guess only time will tell if this fixed it or not, huh? Thanks, again!

Ugh! My nipple seems better since pulling off the scab, but now that duct is plugged again, which is what started this whole mess! What's going on? I don't think anything's changed in terms of his nursing, except spacing feedings out more (4-5 hours between) because he just doesn't care to nurse all that much anymore. I didn't encounter this much trouble for the first 12 months I nursed my guy. What gives!?! Ok, sorry, I mostly needed to vent.

It could be teething... Often babies change their latch when they are trying to soothe their sore gums, and that can lead to more blebs.

Sorry you're continuing to have trouble!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

He is trying to get another tooth to break through up top and has been for a few weeks (which is how long I've been battling this), so I guess that might be the cause. I've been trying to massage the plugged duct, but I'm having trouble getting milk to come out since the nipple pore (?) is kind of blocked off. Any suggestions?

If the bleb is blocking off the pore and making it impossible for you to drain the breast, and the usual heat/massage/moisture tricks don't work, you may have to pick at the skin of the bleb using a sterile needle. It's not as awful as it sounds- usually the bleb skin is like a callous, and is relatively insensitive.

Hot shower and massage. Not to give TMI, but I had a white spot and plugged duct (which made my one breast very uncomfortable and hard), and I stood under the shower and massaged it. One clog came out and milk started squirting out non-stop. It still looked clogged though with a white spot, so I continued to massage, and that plugged piece to came out along with tons of milk.

Thanks for the advice. The bleb seems better now, although I do still have a small callous that doesn't hurt. I will keep that in mind for future help if, heaven forbid, this happens again!