Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Been mia--but I am back =)

Cool Been mia--but I am back =)

Hello all you moms out there. I have been away for a while but I think it's clear to come back to the wonderful ladies that have helped me from the day my little guy was born.

My son is now ONE...crazzzzy, where has the time gone?

He is still nursing strong. He nurses a min of 5 times during the day and at least once during the night. He also eats 3 meals a day and drinks water from a cup. :-D

I have no problems or bumps in the road right now and luckily haven't in a while. One change though is we are back to cloth diapering and that is going great too. =)

One question though---have any of you given cows milk and breast milk? I'm just wondering if that's what I am supposed to be doing at this point.

Thanks in advance.

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

Default Re: Been mia--but I am back =)

As long as he's nursing at least 3-4 times a day, you don't have to give cow's milk. Happy birthday to your little guy! My DD is a day younger than your DS!
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

I have, but mostly because my supply tanked when I got pregnant (both times right around baby's 1st birthday). If I had enough breastmilk, I probably would have just stuck to nursing and fed yogurt and cheese and whatnot for calcium.

What we ended up doing was nursing on demand but offering some milk at meals because it was clear her diaper output had dropped and she wasn't getting enough milk from me. So it's doable, but I'm not sure that it's what you're supposed to or not supposed to do... it's just what we did.

I did breastmilk when I was with Joe, but cow's milk when we were apart, after one. As time went on, he had cow's milk more frequently even when I was home. I think this is really a personal decision - there's no need for cow's milk (or any other milk) if you're nursing frequently (4X/day).

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I think you can do whatever you want. My son is almost 20 months and doesn't drink any milk other than breastmilk. He drinks water when we are apart. My son has iron deficiency anemia which can be aggravated by cow's milk, so I am not in a hurry to get him on it. If you want to introduce cow's milk, however, there shouldn't be any harm in doing so as long as your baby doesn't have any health issues that would preclude it.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).