Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible plugged duct? Also-Baby sleepy from shots?

Default Re: Possible plugged duct? Also-Baby sleepy from shots?

Thank u esmomof3!
    still working on the plugs... also both breasts are just sore and tight from infrequent nursing due to the meds/shots
    I took a warm bath, and have been working on them, nursed him in clutch hold, but I agree. I really just need to nurse him as much as possible. Hopefully tomorrow is better.
    Though I HAVE gotten him to nurse a few more times as he has awakened- but very fussy still. A warm bath did wonders for a while so that was good. Poor little thing- we are just gonna hang in there and ride this out.

Thanks!

Try hand expressing to relieve some of the pressure. Make sure to massage the plugged breast very firmly, then hand express. It hurts, but it helps.

My baby always bounced back from shots within 24 hours. I hope you can say the same!
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Hope you and your LO are both feeling better today, mommylove!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommylove View Post
    He was actually crying quite uncontrollably for a little while and I also as a side note-I DID at one point have a strong vaccination opinion adn wanted to spread them out, but ofcourse my pediatrician convinced me that the traditional method of administering them is safe and most of the hooplah is just hype.. blah blah blah-Oh well, whats done is whats done.
    I just have to say that this is almost EXACTLY what happened with us. I was barely getting breastfeeding figured out at the 8 wk appt, and still stressing about our LO's weight, so I hadn't had a chance to fully research the vaccine thing but thought I'd want to spread them out. My ped said just what yours did, and against my better judgment I got all the shots that day. My LO had reactions that were supposedly possible and normal, but VERY upsetting at the time, nonetheless. I don't think it's normal for an 8 wk old to scream-cry for many minutes on end w/o being able to soothe them! I won't go into the whole thing here, but it led me to read "The Vaccine Book" (which is NOT anti-vaccine - is simply a compilation of what is known about different vaccines, including benefits and *possible* side effects), before my LO's next (4 mo) appt. We did not cut out any vaccines but decided to spread them out, which meant more "shot only" appts. At every single appt since my LO has had a *noticeably* easier time. One could argue why that is, but the point for me is that my LO seems to do better this way. I know others may have had different experiences or opinions in this area. Long story short, we also now have a different ped, also for other reasons, and because the chemistry wasn't right in general.

Another book that helped us greatly is "Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child", 2e, which compiles information on western, eastern, and homeopathic medicine side by side for parents looking up child/baby ailments. It had lots of helpful suggestions for things to do before and after the baby's vaccination appts to lessen any potential mild reactions. And it's not just about immunization but covers all sorts of health situations.

Anyway, I am sorry to hijack, but I just had to share my experience since you mentioned what happened to you at the appt, and it sounded so similar!

I hope that plug has gone away and that things are going better!

I have no idea about this apple but it is making me smile this morning!

Good morning! Wanted to get back with this and update with our current status now! Still going over prev. post as the SUPPORT and ADVICE is really helping me get through the past couple of days. The past few days have been HARD! Really hate to even say that BUT when I am down and exhausted, I feel like it makes everything worse. The Little Babe has made it through the storm though-IM HOPING! So relieved! The first day he had his shots I was stressing bc he wasnt nursing and sleeping ALOT, but the next couple days he has been nursing frequently, and actually NOT sleeping very well, which led to new challenges.SO TIRED but not sleeping or napping during the day unless in my arms for just 15-20 min. Seems like he had good mornings but the evenings were ROUGH ROUGH ROUGH. Inconsolable and that is heartbreaking! Ya know! Im sure many mommies on here agree. Been hanging on by a few prayers. I still feel like I need to re-evaluate the Vaccination schedule, but that will have to wait for another day and some time. LOL
    So no fever in over 24 hours! YAY! Hopefully today we will have a wonderful day and mommy will feel good too! Just the past few days, I THINK? I have been able to get the plugs under control...Not so much of one single sore area now, still working on them though. Def dont want it to get worse......But over the past few days I have come down with some really sore canker sores in my mouth- yucky! Right- I know! Maybe years since Ive hd them??? And some radiating aches and pains on my left side from my ear all the way to my foot!! AHH Seems much better this morning though! slept with a heated rice pack. Oddly enough, even with all this rigamaroar,the little fella is sleeping 5 hours through at night.? Seems good but ofcourse its uncomfortable. On top of all this, I still have worries about losing my milk when he goes these stretches, but we are making up for it during the day with frequent nursing. At amost 9 weeks,I think this is normal from watching the posts and TWAB book.
    On another subject though, I just want to encourage anyone who is going through criticism or negative comments on nursing thier baby- KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK and dont give up! I am following a few other posts about how clueless the medical community is in general about nursing and I feel like it is a miracle I didnt give up, considering all the TERRIBLE advice I got and also discouragement from people close to me!! I know this isnt a new issue, I just want to affirm that I am with those who are dealing with this as well!!

I cant believe how long this is! SORRY! I am just pumped I had these few minutes to type and connect! Thanks for listening and any comments and advice is welcome!!!

In case you come back to read this thread... my doctor advised against tylenol or any other pain/fever reducers for vaccines.
    1. fever means body is building anti-bodies, that's how vaccines work
    2. a little pain keeps the baby fussy and nursing keeps baby hydrated and relieves pain
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I'm happy to hear that both you and your baby are feeling better! Keep massaging the breast then nursing, switching up nursing positions pretty drastically throughout the day to finish off those plugs. I need my son to come to the breast from all angles to completely work out a plug. I offer to nurse way more often then he asks when I get pluggy. I can usually sneak in a few extra nursings in that way.

I'm sorry you are not getting the support you deserve around you. Is there an LLL group or any other breastfeeding support group in your area? Real life support is invaluable.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*esthervegan View Post
    In case you come back to read this thread... my doctor advised against tylenol or any other pain/fever reducers for vaccines.
    1. fever means body is building anti-bodies, that's how vaccines work
    2. a little pain keeps the baby fussy and nursing keeps baby hydrated and relieves pain
    I was told not to use pain relievers as prophylaxis, but to give a dose if my baby was becoming inconsolably upset after the vaccinations.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).