Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible plugged duct? Also-Baby sleepy from shots?

Default Possible plugged duct? Also-Baby sleepy from shots?

Hi friends

Well, here's the story. Last night, my 8 week old sweetie pie slept almost FIVE hours straight through. I havent been setting an alarm for weeks now because I've just grown accustomed to him waking me anywhere between 2-4 ish hours and we were good with that. Well, seems great and all, except I feel very 'inflamed' in my rest breast- I've been compressing all day, massaging and trying to get him to nurse frequently. Still sore.... but as the story progresses,It just so happened he had his 2 months shots today, and ofcourse we both survived it with tears anyway. I immediately nursed him afterwards in the dr office, and he went to sleep. I have only really been able to nurse him a couple of short minute sessions, really trying to for his benefit and mine, but he is very sleepy and will not wake. its been 2 1/2 hours. Wondering if it s the shots or tylenol making him sleepy? Keep trying to wake to nurse? Maybe pump a small amount of sake of comfort? Scared about mastitis. I try to hand express and I get a little but not really much.

THanks for the help!

Default Re: Possible plugged duct? Also-Baby sleepy from shots?

I think the shots can definitely make baby sleepy - same thing happened with our LO's 8-wk shots. They sucked, I know how you feel! It's a good idea to keep an eye on him to make sure nothing else is going on (major swelling at shot location, etc. - ped should have given you a sheet with signs to look for) but that part at least sounds normal to me.

Can someone pick up some lecithin for you to take for the plugged duct? I use this brand and still take one capsule twice a day because I'm prone to plugged ducts and they kept coming back:
    http://www.amazon.com/Schiff-Product...chiff+lecithin

There are lots of other things that can be done in the meantime for the plugs, and others can suggest appropriate stuff I've forgotten:
    - keep nursing baby frequently as you're doing
    - apply moist heat to the area with the plug (e.g., hot washcloth)
    - my acu recommended applying a warm (brewed) teabag under the washcloth of roasted dandelion root tea, directly on the plugged area
    - my LC recommended applying castor oil to the area and wrapping it with saran wrap (to keep from getting on other stuff), then applying the heat over that, like a hot water bottle (not TOO hot, of course)
    - my dr recommended putting the tub faucet or pulsating shower head of hot water directly on the plug for 5 mins, at least 2x/day
    - and of course, rest as much as possible

Some combo of these things seemed to resolve the issue for me over the course of a day or so. If you do use massage on a plug or inflammation, I was advised by my dr not to overdo it or be too aggressive about it, because you can inflame the area and make the problem worse.

Hope you and your LO feel better soon!

ETA: You can also get gravity to help you by nursing while leaning over your LO while he's on his back ...
    Last edited by @llli*lilpats-mama; June 21st, 2012 at 01:33 PM.

with lilpats-mama.

It always takes me a full day or two to completely work out a plug. I have to massage the breast in a hot shower, then nurse in different positions throughout the day. You can massage the breast then pump if you are feeling uncomfortable, but it is better to nurse whenever possible. Maybe see if your baby will dream feed while he sleeps.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thank you so much lilpats-mom!

Great suggestions Im working on it

The babe is upset and fussy and wants to sleep and be held so ofcourse mommy is here

But my big concerns are now- he is not really nursing at all - barely got him to nurse a few hours ago and it must be the meds making him sleep. I feel like I should keep trying to nurse him but he gets so upset and refuses- I did pump only for 3 minutes a few hours ago! SORRY!I was getting really uncomfortable! Should I keep pumping esp with the plug- and keep trying to nurse him? What do I do ladies?

Happy to help!

And don't be sorry, I think when it comes to clearing those ducts, you've got to do what you've got to do! If my LO was really refusing to nurse and it had been hours and I had tried several times to feed him, I might pump again, and if it's *really* uncomfortable for as long as 10-15 mins (but I think do what you feel is best, and maybe less time if you need less). Then try to get him to nurse again after giving him a little break. I agree with phi, the nursing is the thing that ultimately works best.

I remember the whole first day of his 8 wk shots, my LO was sleepy - except for the part where he woke up and scream-cried for over 1/2 hour, I think because of a vaccine reaction or getting too many vaccines at once (whole other story that led us to do a modified and spread-out vaccination schedule after that - not going to hijack this post by going there!!). It was heartbreaking at the time, so I'm glad your LO isn't doing that!

It sounds to me like you're doing what you can! I would think things should start improving with the plug, hopefully by tonight/tomorrow if you stay on top of it. Keep us posted if you're able! But remember to REST, too!

If your baby will not nurse, I would pump. Definitely do your best to get him to nurse, but pump if he absolutely refuses. You need to work on that plug, and you don't want milk backing up behind it. Try bouncing him gently on you knee while you try to nurse him. See if something like that might keep him awake but calms him enough to nurse. Try taking him outside to nurse. Keep working on dream feeds; snoozing babies can nurse surprisingly well sometimes.

I might let him get some sleep right now after the shots, but if he's still really sleepy tomorrow I would get a little more aggressive about keeping him awake. Cold wash cloth, tickling, all the usual things.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    I might let him get some sleep right now after the shots, but if he's still really sleepy tomorrow I would get a little more aggressive about keeping him awake.

Ok ladies- great advice... so I almost didnt make it but the lo finally awoke hungry! yay and so I nursed him, but ofcourse he only took one breast- so I was still in quite a mess- I did end up pumping the other one for just a few minutes- maybe just 3. I had my mom here helping me... He was actually crying quite uncontrollably for a little while and I also as a side note-I DID at one point have a strong vaccination opinion adn wanted to spread them out, but ofcourse my pediatrician convinced me that the traditional method of administering them is safe and most of the hooplah is just hype.. blah blah blah-Oh well, whats done is whats done. Anyway, back to the point, I am still working on the plug(S) and I am hoping to nurse him again as he is waking up from another tylenol induced sleep. Both breasts are feeling very tight though, I may still end up pumping a little to relieve some discomfort, as we usually cluster nurse in the evenings. Thanks again friends!

Yes, I will def stay on top of it. Hoping he will 'dream feed' as well...

There is already some great advice here, but I just want to say that you will know that it is mastitis if you become feverish and very weak...like we're talking "can't do anything" weak. If you start feeling that way get to a clinic or even emerg asap. I've had mastitis 3 times, and the quicker you get some antibiotics, the better. For now it sounds like just a plugged duct and you are doing all you can to make sure it doesn't get worse. I really hope you don't end up with mastitis. All the best!
    married to Ben 05/01/2004
    mama to 3 blessings:
    Ezra 03/01/2006
    Olivia 11/07/2008
    Eden 05/02/2012