Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: LO wont take my right breast?

Default LO wont take my right breast?

Hey Ladies!
    I've been absent but now I'm back.
    Everything is going well, but lately Hunter (my daughter) wont take my right breast unless I kinda trick her - she's hungry and will always take the left when offered but if I offer her the right she pulls away crying so I have to do football hold or lay her down and then she takes it.
    Does anyone know what's causing this?
    It makes for an incredibly fussy time and I dont' know if i should just hold off until a little bit later and try again so she takes it without being tricked or if these are just the ways she prefers on the right breast - which makes it difficult feeding in public - but that's ok.
    Maybe it's a phase - it normally coincides with a new fussy time between 11am and 1pm x

Almost three months!

Default Re: LO wont take my right breast?

I have the SAME issue with my LO and he is 9+ mo. It seems worse as he has gotten older, and only tricking him will get him to nurse a little longer on that side. He'll usually start off OK but then stops within a couple minutes and pops off repeatedly when I relatch him, getting successively fussier until I give up and go to the left, which he usually nurses happily from.

When I pump I get less from the right side than the left, and I think it has always been this way (although maybe not in the VERY beginning - to be honest, I can't remember! ).

I've heard that often women have better supply on one side than the other. I don't know if the difference in supply was caused in part by him not wanting to nurse as much on that side and my supply never getting to where it needed to, or - I think more likely - that the letdown and supply was just not as good on that side, and so he gets impatient and knows he has to work harder on that side than on the left, which usually seems to have more milk. That's my current theory, anyway! I'm interested to hear if others have other possible explanations.

ETA: So I meant to ask: Do you pump, and do you notice a difference in the milk on that side?
    Last edited by @llli*lilpats-mama; June 21st, 2012 at 12:05 PM.

If this is new, it could be teething. Try the usual teething remedies before nursing. It could be an ear infection too.

If it is just a preference thing, then she may just need some practice on the right. My son never much cared for my right breast. I had to practice a lot with him on the right. I would start him out on the right 2x for every 1x I started him on the left. This not only gave him practice, but helped up supply on the right. I would have to change up positions a lot, and bounce-rock-walk him to keep him happy enough to nurse on the right. After a little time and a lot frustration, he got used to nursing on the right and it wasn't so much of an issue anymore.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Hey .... well when I pump on my right I get WAY more than my left ... my right breast pumps around 3oz if she hasn't feed on it and the left never more than an oz even during a let down whilst pumping never very much .... so maybe she likes less milk?!

haha who knows glad to hear i'm not alone!

Ah! How funny, opposite problem!! Maybe it is an issue with oversupply or overactive letdown on that side? I have no experience with either, so perhaps others can comment on that, or suggest what else it might be!

Also - phi mentioned some other possibilities - teething or a possible ear infection, is your LO acting sick at all?

no but she is biting her pacifier or my hand instead of sucking i've noticed and drooling - and constantly putting her hands in her mouth -so i think she may be teething - how does that affect her taking the right breast? That could be it!

Ah!! Interesting! Maybe she wants to nurse for comfort because of the teething - but because there's a lot more milk on the right side, she rejects it and goes for the left. Just a theory??

Teething can cause changes in latch and discomfort in certain positions. My baby actually preferred my right breast over my left during certain episodes of teething, even though normally the opposite was true. Try varying positioning on the right side. More upright, more reclined, stuff like that. Try giving your baby something cold to chew on right before nursing.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

That's so weird! She's been comfort nursing way more than normal and i have been giving her a small amount of expressed milk from the fridge and not warming it as I worried due to her fussy feeding on the right that she wasnt' getting enough and she would drink from the breast straight after that - probably because the bottle was cold!

Great news - that does make sense ..... thanks!