Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help with my 24 month old Breastfeeding Toddler

Default Need Help with my 24 month old Breastfeeding Toddler

Hi Mommas! I have a 24 month old dd and she still breastfeeds about 3-5 times per day. Usually when she wakes up, at nap time, after lunch, and before bed. Some nights she wakes up and cries and wants to nurse. This doesn't happen every night, but pretty frequent the past few weeks. Like last night she slept all night But the 2 nights before last she was up around 1 wanting her "Nummies". I love breastfeeding and want to continue BUT my dd is a VERY PICKY eater. She doesn't eat alot of food. She will BARELY eat any fruit or veggies. I make zuccini/ apple bread and carrot/zuccini muffins trying to get some veggies in her (she used to like this stuff and now hardly wants it). I do give her probiotics and a multi vitamin daily. She is a very happy, energetic little girl. But it is SOOOOOOO Frustrating how picky of an eater she is. She loves hot dogs (organic), but I don't want to give these to her all the time and I don't. She likes mac and cheese sometimes, crackers, Loves cheese( but don't want to give this to her all the time) loves cereal bars etc. But I want to feed her healthy food and have her like what we eat. Most meals I make she won't even take a bite. I have ppl telling me to stop breastfeeding her so much and then she will eat more food. I just don't know what to do. I want her to eat more regular healthy food ! If I quite breastfeeding her so much do you all think she will eat more regular food? My mom says that if she is hungry enough she will eat. I tried cutting out the afternoon nursing and she didn't eat any more food. So I went back to it... This morning she ate some carrot pancake and some Trader Joe O's cereal (dry) and I tried to get her to eat Banana, but Nope she spits the fruit out... Then a little bit later she wanted her "Nummies". She asked for it 3 different times before I finally just nursed her and laid her down for her nap. Also she will nurse on one side and the other side and then say "other side" and will do this for a couple times till I'm like "No, your done"... Help please!! :-)
    Mommy to Savannah Joy
    6-7-10

Default Re: Need Help with my 24 month old Breastfeeding Toddler

Hey momma, I don't have a ton of experience as a lot of these ladies do, but I will pass my thoughts on. I don't feel that weaning is the answer here. At this point, your DD is getting good milk from you and it is still the best thing she could have IMO. Kids are finicky - I just finished a convo with my mom who is watching a 8,9,12 year olds and none of them can agree on what they like/want fo lunch. My 21 month old used to love peas, now he won't touch them. He goes through phases on foods too. I love that you are making things that she will eat and hiding veggies in them, there are lots more veggies you can add that she would never notice. Keep doing what you are doing. Try new stuff and trust that she will get what she needs as long as you are offering to nurse and sneaking in what you can. HOnestly, if you weaned her, can you gaurantee that she will eat better? Nope, but you can know that she is getting important nutrients now from you.

a staple in our home is avacado... my LO loves it!! ANd its packed with all kinds of good stuff. DO you have a food that is nutritional that you know she will eat regularly?
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03
    Our family blog
    And my own blog

Nope, nope, nope. Weaning your LO will not turn her into a "good" eater. It will just remove one reliable source of healthy nutrition from her diet! If she was having an ounce of whole cow's milk in a sippy cup or bottle 3-5 times per day, you'd be high-fiving yourself, because you'd know that your LO was getting her needs for dairy met. So instead of having to push cow's milk, or yogurt or cheese, you're meeting your LO's "dairy" needs all by yourself, and you should freel great about that!

It is very normal for toddlers to be picky, even if they started out eating a diverse and healthy diet. It's to a toddler's advantage to stick to a few "safe" foods, because once they are mobile and somewhat independent that could poison or choke themselves very easily if they were as indiscriminate about what goes into their mouths as young babies are.

You cannot make your child eat. All you can do is model good eating habits and put a selection of healthy foods in front of her and let her choose when to eat them. From personal experience, I advise against serving her favorites all the time just so that she will eat. That's a trap, and you will end up perpetuating the pickiness.

Don't worry- this is a phase and if your LO is healthy and happy despite not having a big appetite for solids, then everything is okay!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She usually will take a couple bites of apple a day and sometimes she likes lettuce but I think she puts too much in her mouth and ends up spitting alot of it out. I think texture has a big thing to do with it. Like I've tried very yummy ripe peaches, strawberries, blueberries, watermelon... She puts it to her mouth or in it and spits it out... I think cause they are kinda slimmy. She refuses applesauce. She loves yogurt but even though I buy organic it's still high in sugar and want to feed her healthy. Sometimes she will eat beans... For breakfast I can usaully get her to eat vegan carrot pancakes or vegan banana french toast I make her with maple syrup. My mom says I shouldn't get her used to so much "sweet " food but it's like what she mainly wants or eats.. the breads I make her are sweetened with honey not sugar but still. I'm just at a loss for what to feed her and what to do. I had such high hopes of eating healthy and having her eat healthy. I was a vegan for awhile but that sure isn't gonna work right now cause she loves meat and cheese. I have no problem with giving her these foods sometimes, but want her to eat fruits and veggies and some healthier foods also. I don't want to wean her but wonder if cutting out a feeding or two would help with her eating more food. But like you said I don't know if she will eat better if she doesn't get much breastmilk and it is comforting to know she is getting her bm and it's good for her. :-)
    Mommy to Savannah Joy
    6-7-10

I feel icky inside when I think of not nursing her as much as she wants. :-( Just don't know what to do.... Getting tired of feeling so frustrated at meal time. I don't look forward to meal times cause I make all this food and give it to her and have to hope she eats some of it... :-(
    Mommy to Savannah Joy
    6-7-10

Thanks! So you suggest not giving her alot of her favorites and just give her what we eat. Do you think she will eventually start eating more foods? Cause I want her to eat and not be hungry... But then if she's hungry she just comes to me for milk... It feels like a vicious cycle... Feed her healthy food and she doesn't eat and then she just wants more breastmilk but then isn't hungry for regular food... ugh...
    Mommy to Savannah Joy
    6-7-10

Your breastmilk is healthy food. So cutting back on that to try to entice a child to eat healthy does not make sense, imo.

Toddlers are picky-that is normal. Frankly it sounds to me as if she will eat plenty of crackers and cheese and hotdogs and mac and cheese, (a gal after my own heart) just not the fruits and veggies you want her to eat. So being not hungry due to nursing is not the problem, as I see it.

Do you tell her things like "I want you to eat healthy, or this is healthy, or, you can have this healthy thing but not this unhealthy thing? if so, she may be equating the word "healthy' with "yucky, dull, boring, ha ha it will drive mom crazy if I don't eat this....."

I don’t have any solutions for getting more fruits and veggies into kids, in my experience what works with one kids does not work for another, and what works one day with one kid will not work the next. I have lots of things I have tried, and sometimes they work and sometimes not.

But we can drive ourselves nuts with this stuff. Toddlers are picky and battles over food are often counterproductive. I suggest, allow your child to see you and the rest of your family eating and enjoying a variety of healthy foods. Let her help with the prep, even many two year olds can "cut" soft things with a plastic knife with supervision. Maybe bring her to a farmers market, good greengrocer or better yet an actual farm to pick things. Grow your own stuff in a containier garden or backyard garden. Let her see that fruits and veggies can be fun and tasty and easily eaten when fresh. That is how a lifetime of eating healthy habits will be created, which is the real goal, imo.

with PPs - breast milk only benefits a picky eater.

My son recently went on an anti-veggie jag. He loves pasta and rice, which I give him as a side dish for most of his dinners. I started making a vegetable purée (I take egg plant, zucchini, carrots, parsnips, broccoli, cauliflower, basically whatever is in the fridge, drizzle with a little olive oil, roast until just a little tender, and purée) and adding it to all of my pasta sauces. I also chopped broccoli pretty finely and mixed it with rice. I was able to sneak lots of vegetables into him (and my husband and myself - no harm in extra veggies, right?) that way. The veggie sauces are really tasty too. My husband asks for them now. They even work on homemade pizzas. I, of course, still gave my son whole vegetables with his meals as I wanted him to get used to the idea of eating vegetables, but I felt way less stressed when he refused them because I knew he was getting some with his pasta. It really helped me relax and not try to force the issue. My son has recently decided to start eating some veggies on his own accord, and I think taking a hands off approach helped a lot.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*luv2ebf View Post
    Thanks! So you suggest not giving her alot of her favorites and just give her what we eat. Do you think she will eventually start eating more foods? Cause I want her to eat and not be hungry... But then if she's hungry she just comes to me for milk... It feels like a vicious cycle... Feed her healthy food and she doesn't eat and then she just wants more breastmilk but then isn't hungry for regular food... ugh...
    Yes, this is what I would do. And I would not worry if she decides not to eat her solids and just comes up to you for a serving of mommy milk. It's still the healthiest, most balanced nutrition out there, even at age 2! A lot of moms fall into the breastmilk = "just a beverage" and solids = real food mindset, but it just doesn't work that way. Breastmilk is real food, no matter how old your baby is.

I also think that LLLMeg and Phi gave great suggestions! Sneaking fruits and veggies into other foods is a time-honored tradition, and it really does help to get a kid involved in shopping and cooking. It helps a lot with my 6 year-old- if she peeled the carrots, she is much more likely to try the carrot salad.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

my 17 month dd is the same way! here are some really helpful tips from Dr Sears on picky eaters: http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fee...-eater-17-tips
    the thing that has helped us the most: dipping sauces. dd love to "dip" stuff, so everything gets served with something to dip it in- pasta sauce, yogurt, guacamole, mustard etc. if she has something to dip her fruit or veggie in its almost as if she's forgotten that she's not too fond of the food itself. things can get messy, but at least she's eating.
    you also might want to try spicing things up. my dd won't eat cooked spinach with olive oil or butter, but put some Indian palek paneer (spicy spinach and Indian cheese) in front of her and it's gone in minutes.
    I'm a dreadlock wearing lucky SAHM to Sabeen Hunter (1/08/11) and wife to my sweet husband Amin.
    Love