Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help: Getting 12 month old back to breast

Unhappy Please help: Getting 12 month old back to breast

Without making this super long, it's been over two months since my son had a good nursing session. My supply is nearly gone, I've rented a Symphany (only pumping 4 times a day though), taking fenugreek/blessed thistle/fennel.

I need to get him back to the breast so my supply can come back and I don't know how. For fathers day we went to the movies and he surprised me by nursing himself to sleep. The time before that when he nursed he bit me, really hard, and I screamed, causing him to cry. Since then he has been refusing to nurse.

My supply is nearly gone and I was hoping to nurse at least until he is two. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Default Re: Please help: Getting 12 month old back to breast

Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry your baby is on a nursing strike. I know another mom whose baby decided to stop nursing after a bad bite reaction-so you're really not alone. This link has some useful tips: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

If you're having a hard time getting baby back to the breast, and you want to rebuild supply, then you have to use the pump to do the work that baby won't. That means increasing your pumping frequency. 4 sessions per day is probably not enough- I would aim for 8-10.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

. If you want to have a better supply, pump more like 8-10 times for 120 total minutes a day. Sucks, especially with a toddler, but it's the only way.

http://thebreastfeedingmother.blogsp...reastfeed.html has some suggestions. It's hard...I have a 17 month old who couldn't nurse because of a birth defect, and I'm still trying!
    Last edited by @llli*aprilsmagic; June 27th, 2012 at 01:19 PM.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

good luck mama.

just wanted to say that i know a lot of women take baths to encourage nursing and i had never really thought about it. whenever i take a bath with my 16 month old he dives for my breast so apparently the bath thing can be very positive for some babies.

hope it goes well.