Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hosptial?!

Default Hosptial?!

Has anyone had experience of still breastfeeding a toddler then going to the hospital for a few days and nights to have another baby? And what did you do in regards to night nursing? Just worried my son is 18 months and still night nurses a lot any advice? I'm currently trying to get preganant and plan on nursing my son for as long as he wants just nervous about what will happen when I'm in the hospital. Thanks

Default Re: Hosptial?!

I was hospitalized several days when my baby was only 6 months. I had my baby brought to the hospital so that I could nurse him during the day, and he was given bottles of expressed milk at night (not really necessary for a toddler though). Toddler nursing is obviously much different, but if you have him come to the hospital and offer to nurse using the day I would bet he would do just fine. Whomever he stays with may just need to be prepared to snuggle with him awhile to get him back to sleep if he wakes. It is very possible, however, that the night nursing may decrease some once all of his teeth are in.

I think a bigger concern is that most moms lose their milk during pregnancy, and he may wean due to that.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    I was hospitalized several days when my baby was only 6 months. I had my baby brought to the hospital so that I could nurse him during the day, and he was given bottles of expressed milk at night (not really necessary for a toddler though). Toddler nursing is obviously much different, but if you have him come to the hospital and offer to nurse using the day I would bet he would do just fine. Whomever he stays with may just need to be prepared to snuggle with him awhile to get him back to sleep if he wakes. It is very possible, however, that the night nursing may decrease some once all of his teeth are in.

I think a bigger concern is that most moms lose their milk during pregnancy, and he may wean due to that.
    i was hospitalized for a a period of 3 nights 4 days do that a large tumor could be removed when my son was 11.5 months old and it was devastating emotionally to think about it in the days and weeks leading up to the event but we survived as did our nursing relationship. my mom stayed in the hospital with me overnight and my fater and husband stayed at home with my son. they brought him to me as soon as they woke up each day and I would nurse him, and snuggle of course. he would come and go several times throughout the day and i even pumped a few times to keep my supply up just in case and relieve some discomfort.

I was really worried about my son goign to sleep without being at the breast but apparently me not being in the house made this much easier, and it was probably even easier because my dad (my sons's papa) was there to distract as well.
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

If you got pregnant today, you'd still have 38-40 weeks to figure things out, and your baby is going to change so much in that time span! So don't let this worry you at all.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes I was thinking that- Even if you get pregnant today, you will not have the baby until your older child is over 2 years old. Lots may change in that time. Your child may even wean while you are pregnant, some do, as the milk usually reduces quite a bit when mom is pregnant and that causes some (but not all) kids to wean. Plus YOU may wish to wean, nursing when pregnant is not for every mom. A good (and only) book on this subject is Adventures in Tandem Nursing.

In my situation, I gave birth to my youngest when my oldest was two and a half, still nursing, and co-sleeping. Even at that age, I did find leaving my son to go to the hospital very stressful. For various reasons, I had to have a scheduled c-section. So I knew I would be away for at least 3 nights (this was shortened to two but that is another story.) We decided my husband would only spend the first night in the hospital with us, so he could then be with my son. For that one day and night, I lined up a couple of friends to care for my son who knew him and shared our parenting philosophy. I was most worried about the night, so he spent the night with one friend who still co-slept with her little boy and they all co-slept together.

I did not pump fro my son as I recall, my son was still nursing to sleep generally at the time but he was able to sleep & nap as long as he was comforted to sleep and my friends and my husband did that. When my older son visited me and baby in the hospital on day 2, he nursed then, and I came home day three and we started tandem nursing.

I believe the separation was much more stressful for me than my son, having a new baby brother was much more stressful for him I think-and I do think tandem nursing helped him.

What are your birth options? Our hospital has these wonderful family birthing suites (which I could not use at all, being a c-section ) and children are allowed there while mom labors. Home birth would also mean no need for a long separation.

Its true that things may change in the time you have a pregnancy, for sure.

I was hospitalized for a miscarriage when DD1 was 19 months. Well, just for the day- but that meant 7 am to 9pm by the time it was all over plus some time the day before. I normally was nursing fairly often. I became a bit engorged, but DD1 wanted to nurse when I came home and we went back to it again just like nothing really happened. The only issue was that at first I was told not to nurse her because the pain was so bad I took some medication, but it actually apparently was fine to nurse anyways.

anyways my point is that my daughter didn't really seem phased by any of it at all, even though she was not an easy going child at that point.
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!

Red face Re: Hosptial?!

You all are so sweet thank you for your advice. I test in 2 days to see if I'm pregnant I had an emergency c-section with my son so they reccomend another one because I have a few health conditions I just love this this board it's so nice to know other mothers who have the same or similar beliefs.

I guess I'm just nervous because he's my world. Thank you for you input

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mgh View Post
    You all are so sweet thank you for your advice. I test in 2 days to see if I'm pregnant I had an emergency c-section with my son so they reccomend another one because I have a few health conditions I just love this this board it's so nice to know other mothers who have the same or similar beliefs.

I guess I'm just nervous because he's my world. Thank you for you input
    I hope this isn't too nosy, but are you really sure you need another c-section? Many mothers can have a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean). You might want to get a second opinion from a VBAC friendly provider before committing to another major surgery.