Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lunch time visits

Default Lunch time visits

Hey all,

I am hoping to get some advice and/or wisdom. I work full time and baby is right across the street at the daycare. Since we started daycare two months ago, I've been going over at lunchtime to nurse. She is now 5mo and is starting to cry when she sees me leave. I know this is normal, but they say she fusses for 30 minutes or so after I've left. Obviously, drop off in the morning is unavoidable, but should I stop my lunch-time nursings so as to not interrupt her day and make her have to see me leave a 2nd time in the day?

I only want the best, as anyone does for their LO, and if not going over there during the day will make her day easier, I'd do it.

Just a little more info. I will be taking a class in the fall and it falls right on my lunch hour. They seem ok with helping me tweak her schedule so I can come in afterwards to nurse, but it would also make it a natural stopping point.

I'm just at a loss on which way to go.
    Mom of 3- Two boys ages 17 and 13 and one sweet baby girl, born 1/19/12
    Pumping once a day and nursing whenever we're together

Default Re: Lunch time visits

How would you feel if you pumped instead of nursed over lunch? If it is less stressful for your LO and you can pump, that may be a decent alternative. Just my 2cents
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

I always went home and nursed my LO at lunch time. No one ever complained about it though. I am sure at some point she started to fuss because she missed me. How long has the crying been going on? Enough to give her time to adjust?
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I go at lunch to nurse as well although yours is much more convenient, and have been struggling with what to do when/if this starts. Right now DS doesn't seem to be concerned one bit by whether I'm there or not. At least not yet, I don't know I sorta think that maybe the natural stopping point would be a good opportunity. I dunno though I would really miss it if I had to stop. Is there some way to distract her when you get done? Like have one of the workers take her and all 3 of you start playing with something and then slowly get out of her line of sight????
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!

why not give it a trial run and see how you and DD feel. She may be fine or you/she may decide that the mid day session is still necessary.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I could sub in pumping instead of nursing no problem. But I will really miss seeing her during the day. I guess its probably more for me than it is for her. Out of the three kids, this is the longest I've nursed and with little to no problems. So Im really cherishing our time. So selfish.

The crying when I leave started about a week or two ago. She cried this morning and was looking around to see where I went. Breaks my heart. I hate having to work. I've tried distracting her with toys, etc. but she still spins around to look. Some days she's ok, but lately, most days she's not.
    Mom of 3- Two boys ages 17 and 13 and one sweet baby girl, born 1/19/12
    Pumping once a day and nursing whenever we're together