Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastmilk slushy???

Default Breastmilk slushy???

I have pumped and have a stash of milk in the freezer, but I don't leave my LO, not for more than 10 minutes running to the store to grab something quick. So I figured I would use it for cereal, but come to find out I don't need to ever make her eat that stuff So at 5 months I haven't started her on any solids (and a part of me never wants to, since it is said to be the start of weaning ), I have a trip that I might take in September, she will be 9 months, I figured I would use my supply then if we go.

But for now I've taken some out a couple times to try a bottle and she has no interest in a bottle I haven't worried about covincing her since we don't really need any right now. When I take the bags out they take awhile to thaw out and one day I was mushing it around in the bag and realized it seemed like a slushy and I thought that it might be fun to spoon feed her a couple ounces of slushy breastmilk on the real hot days. I just don't know if the way it freezes and thaws out seperates anything that I should worry about, or if it all goes down the same...?

thanks everyone!
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

Default Re: Breastmilk slushy???

The frozen/thawed milk is fine; there is nothing to worry about. When my son was an infant, I sometimes gave him frozen breast milk cubes in a mesh feeder when he was teething or when it was hot outside. He loved it.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    The frozen/thawed milk is fine; there is nothing to worry about. When my son was an infant, I sometimes gave him frozen breast milk cubes in a mesh feeder when he was teething or when it was hot outside. He loved it.

Some people call these Momsicles and use them to help with teething. It's a great way to use it.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

the other really good reason to wait on solids is that as soon as baby starts eating, even tastse, the gut flora changes and the poop gets way grosser.

just remember milk is good in a typical freezer for 3-4 months, so you'll have to rotate out and freshen up that stash in order to use it in september.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.