Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 month old biting w/o teeth...

Default 5 month old biting w/o teeth...

My LO is 5 months old and she has gradually started biting more and more. This evening all she would do is bite down. It felt as if she would have taken skin if she had any teeth. She is biting down turning away. Could this mean that she isn't really hungry? I had to grab her head to keep her from turing with it a few minutes ago and she started crying but when I put her in her playpen she started playing. She is getting fussy again but I think I will try to hold her before offering again. It really hurts when she does that

(no teeth or swollen gums, and she usually nurses good)

Any thoughts or advise on how to deal with my chomping 5 month old would be very wonderful...

Thanks!!!
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

Default Re: 5 month old biting w/o teeth...

Keep doing what you are doing, as she is at the age where she might be starting to teethe. If she starts to pull her tongue back, pop her off and end the session, as babies bite when they are playing around. Don't force her to stay on. But maybe stop some boredom nursing.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!