Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding all night

Default Breastfeeding all night

My little one is 11 months old and he thinks he has to be constantly suckling all night. Like it is his own personal pacifier. He drinks formula during the day and breastfeeds at night, he drinks a bottle before bed but has to nurse to go to sleep, I am getting worn out because when he is constantly nursing through the night he is in bed with me so I have to be laying a certain way, so i am not getting any sleep. I am ready to wean and I am ready to have my bed back. Any suggestions on weaning and getting him into his own bed?

Default Re: Breastfeeding all night

My DD really ramped up the nursing at night at about 11 months too. I hear 11-13 months can be an intense time for them, with molars coming in among other things, and nursing provides a lot of comfort. Since I'm not seeing the light at the end of the all-night nursing tunnel quite yet, I'm trusting that the LLL leader that told me that babies typically settle down again around 14 months. I feel your pain though! Naps are my friend.
    First time mommy to Anika Jo, born 6/27/11 at home
    Love to , and . Cloth diapering full time, and part-time ECing-- my baby pees and poos in her little pink potty!
    I blog: www.the-whole-life.blogspot.com

The breast IS baby's personal pacifier. Pacifiers are breast replacements. Also I would suggest that a baby who is not getting all their nursing comfort or closeness to mom needs met during the day may tend to nurse more at night, many moms who are separated from baby during the day, for work, for example, find baby craves more nursing session at night. Although certainly teething discomfort and developmental changes also can lead to the marathon night nurser.

If you would like to wean, I suggest the books How Weaning Happens and The Nursing Mothers Guide to Weaning for tips on how to gently and gradually wean at any age. Also the book The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley may help with ideas for gently helping baby sleep more.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kjohanna View Post
    I hear 11-13 months can be an intense time for them, with molars coming in among other things, and nursing provides a lot of comfort. Since I'm not seeing the light at the end of the all-night nursing tunnel quite yet, I'm trusting that the LLL leader that told me that babies typically settle down again around 14 months.
    That was my experience, for what it's worth. I've been nursing on demand for 19 months, and my son started sleeping much better around 14 months once his molars were through and he was just ready. Honestly, nursing was (and still is) the easiest way to get him back to sleep when he woke.

My son also sleeps much better if he gets lots of exercise throughout the day. We all take a nice long walk after dinner every night. It definitely helps our sleep situation.

I haven't tried it myself, but I've heard that Jay Gordon's night weaning method is also quite good if you choose to go that route.

http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).