Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: a few random questions

Default a few random questions

My LO is 5 months old and i just got my period, will my milk supply diminish? I nurse 5-6 times a day but occasionally have to pump when i'm away.

I want to start a sippy cup and solids in a month. Do you use breastmilk if water is a no no? Can i skip the cereals or are those really recommended?

She's starting to bite my nipple. What can i do to stop this behavior?

She's a really good sleeper and napper. But she cries (really more like fusses) for 1-2 minutes when i put her down, then she's asleep. Is this as good as it gets? I'd like to be able to put her down and not have her cry at all. She also does this when we put her in her carseat, then when we start moving she's fine. I reassure her that we're not leaving her and that we'll see her in a little bit.

Alright, i think that's it for the odds and ends i have now. Thanks for listening.

Default Re: a few random questions

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*razzgirl13 View Post
    My LO is 5 months old and i just got my period, will my milk supply diminish? I nurse 5-6 times a day but occasionally have to pump when i'm away.

Some women experience a temporary drop in supply the first few days of their period. If you are nursing you may not even notice it, other than maybe your LO will want to nurse more often than usual or for longer than usual in an effort to boost your supply back up. If you are pumping you might notice a slight decrease in output. It usually bounces right back, especially if you let LO nurse on demand.

I want to start a sippy cup and solids in a month. Do you use breastmilk if water is a no no? Can i skip the cereals or are those really recommended?

Water isn't necessarily a no no once you get to that age, though it isn't necessary either. If you are just training her to use a sippy I'd just use a tiny bit of water, since in the beginning most of whatever is in the cup will probably be wasted. Cereals really have very little nutritional value, I skipped them with both kids. You might want to look into baby led weaning. It's a method of solids introduction that works particularly well with breastfed babies who are used to regulating their own intake. There are lots of threads about it here if you do a search in the solids forum.

She's starting to bite my nipple. What can i do to stop this behavior?

I immediately removed my daughter from my breast and said, "No biting. That hurts mommy." And then didn't let her nurse for 30 seconds or so. Depending on when she is biting you can try different things. Sometimes they bote at the end of a feeding to stop the flow of milk. If this is the case you can watch closely and see when her sucking slows down, pop her off before she gets a chance to bite.

She's a really good sleeper and napper. But she cries (really more like fusses) for 1-2 minutes when i put her down, then she's asleep. Is this as good as it gets? I'd like to be able to put her down and not have her cry at all. She also does this when we put her in her carseat, then when we start moving she's fine. I reassure her that we're not leaving her and that we'll see her in a little bit.

Honestly I really would worry about it if it's only 1-2 minutes. I'd count myself lucky.

Alright, i think that's it for the odds and ends i have now. Thanks for listening.
    I replied in the quote. Sounds like you are doing great overall!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Default Re: a few random questions

Hi Razzgirl!
    Great random questions.
    1. Some moms feel a dip in their milk supply around the time of menstruation. You can counteract this by nursing an extra few times per day.
    2. many moms avoid the baby food aisle and just give small finger friendly mushy samples of whatever the family is eating. Food is more about learning than actual eating.
    so, yeah you can avoid all those cereals that turn to glue in the baby's tummy.
    3. Sippy cups at this tender age are also more about learning than drinking.
    4. Biting can occur if the baby has a involuntary clenching of jaw while falling asleep...so be on guard and unlatch prior to jaw clench
    or some babys bite if their nose is clogged. I never lost sight of the good old nasal aspirator b/c my kids were mucous factories, like their dad!
    if biting has become a game for her, well then it's time for mommy to get assertive. gentle, but assertive.
    5. My dd2 needed to whine a bit and cry before settling down. I also soothed her but could not prevent it altogether. It was what she needed to do.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair