Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Dieting & breastfeeding??!

Default Dieting & breastfeeding??!

Hello ladies!!

I was wondering if there is a diet that you can recommend that will not effect my milk supply? I am ready to start working out to lose this weight. My ladybug is 2 months old. If you have any tips or advice please let me know!
    Wife.Mother.Sister.Friend.ChildoftheKing. I am a mother to a bubbly preteen (12) and a very active newborn (4-24-12)

Thank you ladies in advance for your support. I couldnt do it without you!!

I and bottle fed (exclusively) until 5-28-12 when my sweet baby started back (exclusively) It has not been an easy road at all. I
    But now.... My sweet pea LOVES my BOOBIES!!!

Default Re: Dieting & breastfeeding??!

I know Weight Watchers has a program for nursing mothers. I don't know anyone who has tried it though or what effect it has on milk supply.

I think the best way to lose weight while nursing (and in general) is to eat a healthy, well balanced diet and get plenty of exercise. If you get hungry, you need to eat so just make sure to have healthy low fat snacks around. I think Weight Watchers probably works because you are still eating a normal array of foods, you are just controlling your portion sizes (at least that's how I understand it - I've never dieted, but a good friend did Weight Watchers very successfully). You need to make sure that you are getting extra calories for lactation, so definitely look for the program for nursing mothers as PP suggests.

Exercise is great for losing weight. I've shed tons of pregnancy weight without altering my diet at all by getting lots of exercise. Exercise is also very unlikely to have any impact on your milk supply (as long as you are eating enough). Just make sure to find a comfortable bra that is not too restrictive to avoid plugged ducts.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

There's a book out there called "Eat Well, Lose Weight, While Breastfeeding". I think it's by Aileen Behar? Anyway, it's a good primer for nutrition for nursing moms.

with Phi that a good bra is a must! A lot of women use bras that are tight and support by compressing your breasts flat. That's not what you want. You want something that supports you from the shoulders and band, and something that fits properly- which often means going up several sizes from your pre-pregnancy sports bra.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks Mrs.Jenks for posting this, I am in the same postition, my little love bug is also 2 months and I am wanting to lose weight, but am very confused with consuming enough to nurse but that I may also lose the weight. I hope to lose 26 lbs by the end of summer *Sept 22* so that is only 2 lbs a week. Does anyone know a good estimate of how many calories are burned while nursing? See I eat till I am full but I am only consuming at the most 1200 calories.
    Wife to my wonderful Husband Shane 5/15/2010
    Mother to beautiful lovebug Emma Rose 4/24/2012

Some people use the app "My Fitness Pal" that helps you track the calories you consume, and it uses your current weight and goal to help you calculate what is a healthy (read: not too drastic) amount of calories you can/should cut in order to lose weight at a safe rate. The reason I mention it is that apparently there's a way to add in that you are breastfeeding so those calories that nursing burns are factored in.

I haven't tried it myself (I find that working and taking care of my LO plus breastfeeding are enough exercise for me these days ) but thought it was worth mentioning in case it's helpful to others. I think it's a free app, but am not 100% sure on that.

yes, it is a free app, I love it! It is on the computer and smartphones. But the only way to add breastfeeding is to subtract it as if an exercise, or add more calories to your consumption. At the moment I just subtract 500 calories for the day.
    Wife to my wonderful Husband Shane 5/15/2010
    Mother to beautiful lovebug Emma Rose 4/24/2012

Good to know, proverbs.wife! Thanks for confirming ... I've also heard that breastfeeding burns about 400-500 cals a day.