Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Two steps forward, one step back

Default Two steps forward, one step back

So my milk is nearly back in full force! Woot! But as I touched on in my posts last week, my LO (almost 4 months, 2.5 months adjusted) is still not eating great from a bottle. I work 12-hour shifts 3 days a week, but am gone from the home 14-15 hours during those days if you account for travel time. I know that I should leave 1-1.5 ounces for every hour I am gone, and that this is theoretically what LO should eat while I'm away.

However, she doesn't normally eat more than 8 ounces or so from a bottle on the days that I work. That's OK when I work a night shift, because that is probably what she takes from me between 7pm-7am since she has started sleeping for longer periods of time over night. But when I work a day shift, she should be eating more from the bottle than 8 ounces, and she never really does. I've heard that some babies reverse cycle, and I think she does it to some degree, but by the time I get home it's almost 9pm, which is close to bedtime. She'll eat a good 3-4 ounces from me and then pass out. I'll try to wake her every 2-3 hours overnight to eat, or at least trick her into doing some dream feeding, but most of the time she's having none of it and just wants to sleep. Usually, I can get one decent-ish feed from her around 2am and I'd estimate she's taking another 2 ounces. She doesn't really nap during the day, so this is pretty much all the sleep she gets.

So, on an average day where I work, I think she probably gets about 15-18 ounces from bottle and breast combined, which isn't enough. She pees less those days, and while her mood isn't affected, she just doesn't gain enough weight. Luckily, it seems that now that my milk is back the other four days a week while I'm home she is getting enough from the breast.

Last week when the milk disappeared, she still miraculously gained 2 ounces, but it looks like this week she'll only gain about 4 ounces. I know 4 ounces is still "technically ok" for her age, but she's almost always gained at least 6, usually more, and a couple of weeks of this reduced gain and we will drop from the 20% percentile to off the charts in no time. And I've worked my @$$ off to get her to the 20% percentile.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get her to eat more from the bottle when she is home with my husband? I know he offers it to her like a boob, and doesn't schedule her feedings. He says too that he thinks she's figured out how to comfort suck from the bottle, so it's not even like we could just like milk drip in passively, because LO is too smart for that I guess We use either the Medela or Nuk slow flow nipples. Should we shop more nipples? Up the flow speed to medium? Go crazy and try a sippy? Attach the bottle to her face like feed bag? <---kidding

Thank you LLL ladies for all your continuing support!
    Last edited by @llli*larkface; June 21st, 2012 at 12:36 PM.
    I'm Erin, mommy to Ella, born at 33 weeks 4 days, and Addison, born at 35 weeks and 5 days.

Default Re: Two steps forward, one step back

Bump.
    I'm Erin, mommy to Ella, born at 33 weeks 4 days, and Addison, born at 35 weeks and 5 days.

Default Re: Two steps forward, one step back

I think it might be a good idea to try different bottle nipples, try a sippy, and do a taste test to make sure your stored milk doesn't have a lipase issue. And please don't get too hung up on what the scale says week to week or day to day. Zoom in too close on the data and it is easy to gain a false impression of what is really going on- let's say a baby loses an oz one week but gains ten the next- should you freak out over that? Probably not. That sort of week to week variability is normal, to some extent.