Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby unable to get enough milk

Default Re: Baby unable to get enough milk

Plenty of wet diapers but not a lot of dirty ones. Doctors have told me that's normal though. We finally ditched the shield yesterday but now it just hurts really bad. We're working on a good latch now

Okay, if it hurts really bad I would call an IBCLC for some hands-on help. Ditching the shield is an immense step forward but if it just results in unbearable pain or means your nipples get injured from a poor latch, the price of getting rid of it may be too high right now.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm probably going to have to do that. One side only hurts when she first latches on and then it's only a little uncomfortable, but she kinda flattens the nipple so i don't think that's quite right. The other side just hurts the whole time. She's always had issues with that side cuz the nipple is flatter. I know how to get her latched on right and all that, but for some reason we just can't get it and i'm not really sure where we're going wrong.

This is why hands-on help is so important. Sometimes you can be doing everything right and it still isn't working. Has anyone suggested the nipple sandwich technique to you? That can really help a baby latch on deeper. And even if nothing works, please don't feel like it's going to hurt forever. Babies grow fast and usually grow out of their latching issues- a bigger mouth can latch on deeper with less effort.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I've tried the nipple sandwich and still can't get it. What makes no sense is i can get her latched on with only a little to no discomfort and no areola showing around her mouth, but my nipple is still misshapen when she lets go and as soon as the flow slows, she quits swallowing. I have no idea what our issue is or how to fix it.