Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Green poop and slow growth when we reduce supplemental EBM

Default Re: Green poop and slow growth when we reduce supplemental E

The only thing I am on besides the meds to boost my supply is Synthroid for hypothyroid and a prenatal vitamin.

I am actually stoked right now because the baby just stayed awake for 10 minutes on one side and pulled off awake. That is a super rare occurrence for us. now she's falling asleep in the other side, but I am encouraged nonetheless.

I don’t have much time but real quick-Stop swaddling. This is a technique designed to help babies go to sleep and keep babies asleep. Stop using a pacifier, all suckling should be at the breast.
    Swaddling has been possibly linked to slow weight gain and pacifier use has absolutely been linked to slow weight gain, in several studies. This does not mean no one should never use pacifiers or swaddle, but you are trying to wake baby up and get baby to nurse more and these are things that work against that.

I suggest you see an independent private practice IBCLC who will spend 90 minutes or more with you IN PERSON and watch you and baby nurse. Medical advice over the phone can be misleading imo.

Anyone telling you to nurse a certain amount of time every such and such hours does not understand how milk production works or how babies behave at the breast.

If baby cues, nurse her. Every time. Even if it's only ben 15 minutes since she nursed. This is normal nursing behavior. And offer to nurse on top of cue feeding whenever you want. If you need to supplement, maybe try supplementing before she nurses and allowing her to "finish at the breast" part of the time.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; June 20th, 2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: trying to clarify

Interesting about the Synthroid. Thyroid problems are apparently quite common postpartum, more so in women who have already had problems, and they can cause supply issues. It doesn't sound like you have a supply problem, but if you haven't had your thyroid function checked recently I would suggest doing so now.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you guys for your advice. I am really frustrated, but i ordered an SNS to get her through this. I have been nursing the baby pretty much all day, but I am still so concerned that she might not be getting enough or that she isn't emptying me and decreasing my supply. I decided also to give her everything I pump while it is fresh instead of storing until her growth picks up again.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Interesting about the Synthroid. Thyroid problems are apparently quite common postpartum, more so in women who have already had problems, and they can cause supply issues. It doesn't sound like you have a supply problem, but if you haven't had your thyroid function checked recently I would suggest doing so now.
    They checked my thyroid immediately after delivery, but I have an appointment to have it rechecked on Monday. Thanks!

UPDATE: I went to LLL meeting this morning, and one of the leaders watched us nurse. The baby is not changing to deep sucking, and is probably not transferring much milk. So we are going to start trying pumping to get things flowing well before putting her on the breast. Also, the SNS may be a big help to get her to start sucking well. I am also giving her everything I pump during the day now and am only storing the EBM from after her evening feeding, which usually goes very well.

I am feeling more confident that we can fix this now for the first time since we learned there was a problem with her growth.

That is great to hear, mama! You've already gotten such awesome advice here, but I just wanted to say our LO had probs with weight gain, too, and perhaps for similar reasons - and to echo lllmeg, it made all the difference to see an IBCLC who came to our house vs. a hospital-based LC. From what I've read here (and this was true for us), some hosp-based LCs are quicker to suggest formula supplementation and don't necessarily have the same training as an IBCLC. I don't know if you still plan to get LC help because you are getting assistance at LLL, but thought I'd mention it.

Also: We rented our baby scale from a hospital - do you have any hospitals somewhat nearby? You could call and ask if they rent them out. It wasn't very expensive when we did it (I think it was something like $15/week.)