My baby is 7 weeks today. We left the hospital BFing on demand and thought everything was going fine. She nursed about 90% of the time she was awake, and fell asleep on the breast. She was nursing about every 2 hours around the clock. At her 2 week appointment, she had not yet gained her weight back, but was growing ...just slowly. The doctor checked her again at 3 weeks, and she had only gained about 2 ounces over the week. He told us to stop feeding at the breast and start pumping exclusively. He also told us to put one scoop of formula in every 2 oz of EBM. We gave her 3 bottles following that protocol, and I knew it was not right for my baby. She was choking on reflux all night that night.
The following day, we found a new pediatrician. She recommended breastfeeding, and then offering a 1.5oz bottle of EBM. We did this for 1 week, and she gained 15oz in a week. So she told me I could start offering the bottle only every other feeding.
Now we are BFing at the breast, and I pump about 3-4 times per day. I have stored about 60 oz of EBM, and I am still offering 4-5 oz EBM throughout each day.
The baby seems content most of the time. I am having to nurse, then nurse again about 45 minutes later. If she is not satisfied, I give her an oz of freshly pumped EBM. Then she will stay satisfied for a couple of hours. She spends about 3-4 hours per day awake and alert, and doesn't cry unless she is hungry or wet. She poops 4-5 times per day, and it is a significant amount. However, it has become more green lately. She usually has a good wet diaper after every other feed, and she is feeding 7-8 times per day.
1. Why is her poop green? Is she not getting enough hindmilk? It was staying more yellow when she was getting more EBM by bottle.
2. I have an initial let-down while pumping that I don't feel, but if I have a second let-down, it hurts a little. I never feel that when she is nursing. Is that ok?
3. She falls asleep at the breast ALMOST every nursing session, sometimes after only 3-5 minutes. I am just not convinced she is getting enough, but I can't get her to wake on the breast. We have tried compressions, messing with her, cold wash cloth. The only thing that helps is detaching and changing her clothes, but she goes back to sleep within a couple minutes on the breast. Is that ok?
4. She is still not growing well. She is 7 weeks old, and has only gained about 1lb, 4oz since birth. Is that normal for breastfed babies?
5. Is it normal to be able to pump 1.5oz immediately after nursing when the baby comes off the breast unsatisfied? (This happens about twice per day.)
Thanks for any help you can provide.