Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milk drying up

Default Milk drying up

My son is 13 months, and my milk is drying up. I'm pretty certain of this. I was on domperidone for a long time, but decided to stop recently because we are going to TTC later this year and I needed my flow back, and wanted to make sure the drugs were all out of my system. Last night, during the night, my son nursed 4 times. Only on one breast each time. This morning, the diaper was barely damp. He's had "enough" wet diapers with cows milk and water, but significantly less since I stopped the drugs. And I get next to nothing when I pump at work. Yesterday I pumped once at work at 8:30 in the morning, and for a variety of reasons he didn't nurse when I picked him up from daycare until bedtime. I wasn't engorged at all. I didn't even really fill full.
    1. I'm feeling VERY depressed. Not really a question, just a fact.
    2. I'm worried about how naptime and sleep are going to go. Up until this point I've nursed him to sleep for every nap and bedtime. (Except at daycare). I don't know what he'll do if there isn't any milk.
    I don't want my boy to wean, but I'm coming to realize that is where we are headed, and on a fast track.
    Mama to my little Piglet 5/9/11, nursed to approximately 19 months. Expecting #2 in early June! We happily , , and .

Default Re: Milk drying up

Every step they take away from us
    Every choice is theirs to own.
    He is growing in ways where you are relegated as a witness, not an active participant. He has become ready
    , he did not know you would have liked to have been asked, consulted, clued in on first.
    It is the first of many things he will do with out your input, your permission.
    If he changes his mind and wants to comeback, that is also a choice he gets to own.
    Big hugs momma. This is sometimes how weaning happens.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I've never felt engorged or really even full at all after a year no matter how long I've gone in between nursing. Things are a little different after a year. I have a lot of trouble pumping (finally packed the darn thing away ), my breasts have gotten smaller (which I'm thrilled about ), and I don't ever feel full, but the milk is still there and my son nurses all the time.

The milk may still be there, but you just don't notice it so much now. It's possible if you just keep offering to nurse, your supply will be enough for your son to keep nursing. I wouldn't lose hope just yet.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

i agree with phi, you just need to wait and see. let us know how it goes.

I am quite sure it is drying up. If nothing else, the all night nursing sessions that result in a practically dry morning diaper is an indication. He is still nursing to sleep though. He is waking lots more and crying lots more at night. :-(
    Mama to my little Piglet 5/9/11, nursed to approximately 19 months. Expecting #2 in early June! We happily , , and .

I can't remember what DS did at 12 months, but at 2.5 years he frequently nurses all night and has a dry diaper in the morning. He'll then let loose and flood out a diaper.

My baby nurses a lot at night but often has a dry diaper in the morning unless he drank a lot of water before bed.

13 months is prime time for molars. Frequent waking and crying at night are common at that age.

Just keep offering the breast. He still wants to nurse, so there is every reason to remain hopeful.

Hi,

I'm in pretty much the same situation as you and also very upset about it :-( My story is long, but in a nutshell due to an undiagnozed tongue-tie which wasn't cut until my daughter was 8 weeks old breastfeeding got off to a terrible start, my baby lost a huge amount of weight and I had to start supplementing her when she was 1 week old. I took domperidone for ages and pumped many times a day until my daughter was 8 months old. I never managed to get her off the supplements but I was giving her way more breastmilk than formula milk, she learnt to feed effectively etc. Now she is nearly 14 months old and I too have realized my supply is quickly drying up :-( She sucks and sucks and I don't feel the let down reflex, so she gets impatient and goes away, refuses to try again, etc. and eventually drinks from a bottle. She still searches for the breast when she wants to sleep and at night, and if she sucks for long enough I feel a let down reflex and there is still milk. If I squeeze my breasts milk still squirts out, but I have no doubt either that my supply is falling. I'm convinced that if I had more milk she would drink more and everything would get going again... I just don't know what to do about it. I'm thinking about starting to pump again, but am worried that I'll have even less milk when she does come to drink and she will be even more discouraged. Sometimes I think maybe she is weaning...I find that so hard to accept though, I don't feel in any way ready to stop this special nursing relationship, especially after the enormous challenges and problems we have been through.
    So, if anyone here has good tips and advice I'm all ears too.
    Mamalump, good luck...I know how hard this is! Try to keep believing and offering your baby the breast as much as possible. My daughter has 3 molars coming through at the same time (she's nearly 14 months old) and has been waking up and crying loads more too during the night.

None of these things sound to me like definitive signs that milk is drying up, at least not to the point that it would compel weaning anyway. Milk supply wanes some for all of us as our toddlers start eating more and more solids. That is the natural course of events. In fact, milk becomes more concentrated in nutrients in response to this phenomenon. You need to expect a certain decline in the abundance of milk, but understand that it does not necessarily mean that it is all gone or that it soon will be.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hanna View Post
    Now she is nearly 14 months old and I too have realized my supply is quickly drying up :-( She sucks and sucks and I don't feel the let down reflex, so she gets impatient and goes away, refuses to try again, etc. and eventually drinks from a bottle.
    I had a really intense letdown sensation from around 3 months until 15 months. I rarely feel a letdown anymore. Additionally, it is not uncommon for toddlers to just take a few sips here and there throughout the day. I would ditch the bottles at this point. Plenty of milk is there if you see milk when you squeeze your nipple. If your baby wants it badly enough, she will get it. As long as she nurses at least 3-4x a day, there is no reason for bottles. If you are concerned about milk intake, then you can offer full fat dairy (yogurt, cheese, etc.). I think that would be preferable to bottles as long as she continues to nurse sometimes.

@ both hanna and mamalump - both of your babies are nursing, and that in and of itself is a really good sign.

I think the best course of action is simply to continue to offer the breast at every opportune moment, and don't get yourself down if the offer is refused. Toddlers are very busy little people after all; even the most voracious nursers, like my son, will turn down the breast if there are better things going on.

Try curling up in bed with your baby and spending some time reading, singing, playing in bed and periodically offering to nurse or just go topless for the time. Try nursing lying down. My son sometimes does better if I nurse him while I am reclined or side lying; I think it might just be more relaxing for him that way. My son also nurses very well when I'm walking with him in the Ergo.

For now, it is best to stay positive and not stress out (I know it's hard, but our babies pick up on our stress). As long as your babies are nursing, you have good reason to think that they will continue.

agree with phi again here.

my son is 16 months and often wakes with a dry diaper, it depends. and sometimes he has really tough night with lots of waking and crying. its all normal.