Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: TMI But Starting Period?

Default TMI But Starting Period?

I recently started my cycle and it is extremely light. I have been pumping at work but have had a sudden dip in my output since starting. Has anyone else had this problem? I am wondering if i need to try to supplement until the time is over or if i need a permanent solution.I was lucky with my 1st lo and never even had the unwelcome return the entire time i was nursing.

Default Re: TMI But Starting Period?

its common to have a dip in supply with a period. it will pass quickly.

Some people say supplement with calcium and magnesium to help with supply dips during a period. I do notice a slight decrease during my period, too. How old is your baby? If it's extremely light and your baby is under 6 weeks it's probably still post partum bleeding and not actually a period, but otherwise, yes it can cause a supply dip but the best thing to do it just keep nursing often and pumping often at work.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

My babe is 3 1/2 months old. I have been pumping 6 or 7 ounces and now only close to 5. He's a BIG(not fat) guy and he's not happy with this at all. This is my first time noticing a dip considering that its the 1st time ive really been pumping. My period is so light that its barely noticable. So i suppose we'll just deal with it and i'll go back to normal. Thank god for freezer stashes!!

Whether this means you will actually have any supply issues going forward is an open question, as it is indeed normal to have a small dip at the start of your period and then production comes back. Also it should be noted that 5 ounces is still a very good pumping output.

However the plain fact of the matter is it is in generally harder to maintain an appropriate milk supply when pumping part of the time rather than nursing all of the time. This is not fair to working breastfeeding moms, but since when was biology fair? It's just the way it is. Pumps just do not remove milk and stimulate milk production as well as nursing babies do. I would suggest you and all moms who are needing to pump due to separations keep really on top of pumping, make sure your pump is kept in excellent working condition, make sure you are using the appropriate pump for what you are doing, and if you are using an older pump, get it checked out. Also, nurse baby frequently when you are with baby, even at night. Generally these things will help maintain a good supply going forward. In addition, be cautious about other supply busters, like long sleep stretches by baby at night, overuse of pacifiers, and “pushing” solids too early. It may also help to make sure your baby is being fed in a breastfeeding supportive way while you are at work. See: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

As far as supplementing goes, do you mean at home or while you are at work? If your baby ever needs more than you can provide, that is what you will have to do. But otherwise, supplementing will only make maintaining a good supply even harder. So I would suggest trying to build your own supply if needed, by nursing more and/or pumping more and maybe trying galactagogues, before supplementing.

Super light period-hmmm. My periods were noticeably lighter post pregnancy and breastfeeding, but....any way you actually are pregnant and this was some spotting?

I have to exclusively pump, and I have noticed with every cycle, I make less milk overall every month. Like I was pumping 4 oz a session when it came back, then it was 3.5, then 3, and now it hovers between 2.5 and 3. The only chnage was AF is back, same pump, same times, etc. I would say nurse when you are home as much as you can, try calcium and magnesium (hasn't helped me) and try some herbs.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!