Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to BF baby with congested nose?

Default How to BF baby with congested nose?

Hi, its me once again....

DD who is almost 4 months started coughing a couple of days ago... she also has runny and congested nose... and some sneezing.
    I don't have an aspirator, any tips on how to bf her more effectively?
    Also she is drinking less because this morning, i woke up feeling so engorged and after feeding her, i took out the pump and was able to pump 5oz!
    She is not taking bottles now but i just had to empty them as it was getting painful...

Other thing, her coughing is only for about 3-5 seconds, not longer than that. I heard it could be whooping cough if lasts more than 20 seconds.
    I still haven't taken her to ped cause she sleeps well and still nurses and does not have a fever, she's also not fussy and really behaves like she always did, except that she's coughing and sneezing.

By the way she hasn't gotten her DTap shot yet...
    We have decided to delay her vaccines till she's a bit older but the hospital nevertheless gave her Hep B and TB shots (without our knowledge)
    Any Mommies there who know more about whooping cough?

Default Re: How to BF baby with congested nose?

Whooping cough has a very characteristic sound. Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuvn-...e_gdata_player

Most likely this is just a summer cold. Try varying your baby's nursing position. Sometimes a different position can help them get more air while feeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My pediatrician told me to use over the counter saline nasal drops for babies and a nasal aspirator.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Sounds like a regular cold to me but I'm not a doctor We've been through a couple of these already as kiddo is in daycare. What seems to help are saline drops and aspirating (we love the nosefrida), a humidifier (though in summer this may not be super helpful, if it's humid out it probably won't make a huge difference), and sitting in a nice steamy bathroom for a little bit.

If the stuffiness is the membranes of the nose, that won't help a whole ton but if it's phlegm/mucous it should help loosen things up.

Also try varying position - for us side lying was easier than other nursing positions, I think because the side that was "down" got wholly congested but the side that was "up" opened up. Other nursing positions had him tilted or back-down, so neither side of the nose would open up.

thank you for you replies mamas...
    will try to get an aspirator tomorrow... we did give her a steamy bath today.

I watched the youtube clip as mamal suggested and so relieved to know that DD definitely does NOT have the whooping cough, so heartbreaking to see those babies coughing non-stop. DD coughs but at least only lasts for about 5 seconds each time and hopefully will be totally gone soon...

Is your baby used to taking a bottle of EBM? For some reason around that age, my son had a cold or two where he actually preferred taking my milk from a bottle rather than nursing. I believe because it was easier for him to get out and he could take it sitting more upright. He Loved (and still loves) to nurse. It was just a few feedings that he preferred it this way, but it got us through until he could breathe better again. Just an idea...

DD used to be ok with a bottle of EBM once in a while in the first few weeks when i left her with her Grandma for a few hours, but at around 1 month old, she started crying a lot and MIL could not soothe her anymore so after that we would just take her wherever we go and I stopped pumping. Now she doesn't like bottles at all, I was able to pump 5 oz yesterday but she didn't even drink 1oz from it... maybe I will try a syringe...
    How long before your LO's cough went away?

My baby has gotten through numerous colds just fine with no bottles, cups, syringes, etc. I wouldn't worry too much about that. Babies tend to drink less when they are sick, just like adults tend to eat less when they are sick. As long as your baby is making adequate diapers, I woudn't be overly concerned by it. If you see signs of dehydration, however, then you will need to supplement with expressed milk somehow.

Steam baths were the most effective and long lasting way to clear up the congestion for us.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

We've dealt with the same lately. Colds. Ugh. But she always finds a way to nurse even if she pops off to breathe then goes back on.

Here are some of the things we tried to help minimize the stuffiness. Saline spray, nosefrieda, humidifier at night, elevating the head of the bead and having her sit in the bathroom while one of us takes a shower. The shower thing really helps.

Hope your LO gets some relief soon.
    Mom of 3- Two boys ages 17 and 13 and one sweet baby girl, born 1/19/12
    Pumping once a day and nursing whenever we're together