Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: quick question; frozen milk ok?

Default quick question; frozen milk ok?

I took out frozen milk from the freezer on Sunday night to send to the sitter on Monday. Sitter was sick. Milk is still in refridgerator. As of now (Monday night) it is not completely thawed.

I read that once milk if thawed, it should be used within 24 hours. Would it be ok to send this milk to the sitter tomorrow (Tuesday) since it wasn't completely thawed today? If not, I have to pump tonight. :-(

Default Re: quick question; frozen milk ok?

I've read that if the milk is still frozen in the center then you can re-freeze, so I would think that it would still be good.... I have no experience with it so I can't say that I'm 100% sure
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

If it was still partially frozen today, then I would just smell/taste it tomorrow morning and go ahead and send it if it smells/tastes fine.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I would not refreeze the milk but I would use it tuesday for sure unless it smells bad (like rancid).
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Use it today.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!