Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Two teeth all at once AKA the most unhappy baby

Default Two teeth all at once AKA the most unhappy baby

About three nights ago my husband and I were watching tv on the couch and my 4.5month old son was sitting in my lap playing with, and chewing my hands, when I noticed something sharp in his mouth. His first tooth! After initial excitement it became obvious my son was having trouble sleeping because of this tooth, and was too tired to latch properly and nurse. Eventually we gave him his frozen teething ring and he switched happily between it and my breast until he fell asleep.
    The next morning I sent him to my mother's while I was at work and unsurprisingly she told me that he had been a little fussier than usual for her all day. When we got home I took out his little tooth brush and practice tooth paste to brush his gums and new tooth and noticed right next to his first new little tooth a second one coming through.
    The past two days, and especially nights he has had so much trouble sleeping, calming down, and nursing well even with his teething ring. Yesterday I gave up and gave him tylenol to help his mouth feel better and within no time he was asleep drooling away. But I really hate to give him medicine like that unless he actually needs it. I know so many people who's first reaction is to run to the medicine cabinet for every little thing and I don't want my son to be one of those people.
    That said I don't want him to suffer either, any advice?

Default Re: Two teeth all at once AKA the most unhappy baby

As always with a breastfed baby, the best thing you can do is to nurse! The warm, pleasurable sensations that baby gets from nursing often help them deal with teething discomfort. Cold teething rings or even a damp washcloth that has been in the freezer for a while are also great for a sore baby to gnaw on. And don't be too afraid to use Tylenol to get you through the worst spells.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    As always with a breastfed baby, the best thing you can do is to nurse! The warm, pleasurable sensations that baby gets from nursing often help them deal with teething discomfort. Cold teething rings or even a damp washcloth that has been in the freezer for a while are also great for a sore baby to gnaw on. And don't be too afraid to use Tylenol to get you through the worst spells.
    all of this.....
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

Mothers have resorted to all sorts of concoctions to ease the pain associated with teething.
    The cold teething ring is a tried and true remedy.
    But when your lo won't nurse for comfort, won't take the ring, and is in obvious discomfort...an appropriate dose of infant pain reliever makes perfect sense!
    My in-laws wanted me to rub whiskey on my lo's gums.. my pediatrician said, "no way", and advised Tylenol.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Don't be afraid to give a little tylenol if nothing else is helping.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Agree don't be afraid of the Tylenol if it helps. We also used teething tabs that were homeopathic. Hylands makes them, although they have a newer recipe that can be a bit hard to find but it does not have belladonna in it.

Also I feel your pain W cut 4 top teeth in like 8 days it was horrible!!! I was so exhausted he was so grumpy etc. It will get a little better (but then it will start again).
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Joe was also an early teether, and cut like 8 teeth in two months. It was BAD. That's when I learned to liberally dose with tylenol when other things aren't working. Because we'd have a terrible night, I'd be beside myself thinking I had ingrained him with all these terrible habits and was raising a brat (forgive me for these thoughts, I was very sleep deprived), then I would see that he had gotten another tooth, and it'd be like, DUH. Poor kid was in pain!

But then when he finally got his 2 year old molars, and I realized that was IT for teething until his adult teeth came in, I wanted to hold a giant party!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.