Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there an end to...well...endless feedings??

Default Re: Is there an end to...well...endless feedings??

I have been there. Two more weeks and you can introduce the bottle. I started pumping one bottle a day at 5weeks. Every day. And then after dinner I handed my DH the bottle and the baby and I got two hours off. Every night. I could take a shower, read, a book, take a NAP, whatever. It was MY time. And even after I stopped pumping which was around 8months or so, I would still hand him over for two hours of Me time. And to this day, and my son is 6, after dinner I get on the computer and my DH does the bedtime routine and they come get me for bed. You can totally do two more weeks. This too shall pass.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*thefoleyfive View Post
    I honestly am dying to introduce a bottle at this point, just so my husband can join in on the fun. I know it's a little early for that, but it would be nice so that I can get through a whole shower without having to worry about DS being hungry. That and the opportunity to have him take on a feeding in the middle of the night.
    I started giving my daughter a bottle at 2 weeks. She did great with it. We do one a day (usually night)

I don't have any advice because I'm in the same boat as you. I'm glad to know there are others out there. Everyone I talk to loves nursing never had a problem or just told me to pump (which I don't want because I heard it is super hard work) My daughter is now a month old TODAY and still eats often. The doctor told me to try to push it to 2-3 hours because she is "snacking" I think I get 2 hours out of her. Sometimes she eats sooner and she will only eat 5-10 min. and sometimes only one breast. She will fall asleep and as soon as I lay her down she is up again. UGH!

Maybe we should talk more and keep eachother sain I'm hoping it gets easier and not so demanding. Then it might be rewarding.

Hang in there!!!! I have my days where I want to quit and then my days where I say "I can do this!!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Angie0712 View Post
    I started giving my daughter a bottle at 2 weeks. She did great with it. We do one a day (usually night)
    It's generally a very bad idea to introduce a bottle at 2 weeks. Some babies do okay with the early introduction, but some can develop a nipple confusion which can really damage a nursing relationship. You just don't know which type of baby you will have, and it really isn't worth the risk.

Also, it is best to wait until after the 6 week growth spurt to start pumping if possible. Your milk supply is easily influenced by external influences early on, and pumping too soon can instigate a really nasty oversupply. I know from personal experience. I struggled with a painful oversupply for months which was at least in part due to pumping too early on.

Plus, you need to pump every time you give a bottle in order to protect your milk supply. So instead of just nursing the baby, you give a bottle, pump, then have a pile of dishes to wash. Pumping has always just created more work for me and simply isn't worth it. My sling was my lifesaver when my son was little. Way more useful than a bottle.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).