Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby wont re-latch

Default Baby wont re-latch

So my LO is 1 month and she is a good latcher. She will eat for 5-10 min. (each side or just one side sometimes) When she pulls off and I burp her she will want to eat more but fights it. She will latch but only for a sec or two and she pulls off. She wants to eat but wont. I usually end up giving her 1 oz or 2 from a bottle because she will not calm down. I was just wondering if anyone had/has this problem. When I squeeze my breast I will get milk that comes out so I keep trying but she doesn't want it. I don't know if I just am not producing enough milk for her OR she does not want to work for it once it slows down ???? Any tips or advice

Default Re: Baby wont re-latch

Your LO is probably able to transfer a full feed in the 5-10 minutes she nurses, so when you bottle feed her 1-2 ounces of pumped milk after she nurses you could be
    1. over feeding her....could lead to reflux
    2.teaching her that if she fusses she will get a bottle, and therefore she might begin to prefer the bottle
    3. Some babies who transfer milk quickly enjoy comfort nursing on a soft/less full breast
    But if a mom continues to pump after a full feed her body produces more milk and therefore the baby misses the chance to nurse for comfort

Some mothers give a pacifier when the baby needs to suckle for comfort until their milk production calms down so the baby can comfort nurse after a full feed.

HOWEVER if you have been consistently bottle feeding her 1-2 ounces after every nursing session. she is missing out on adequately building your supply to meet her needs and you might become pump dependent to maintain a supply.

Your baby is still quite young. A day or two in bed with her to offer her the relaxed atmosphere of getting back to the breast might be the just the thing to transfer her away from the bottle for now.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Fussiness at the breast at this age is SUPER COMMON, and doesn't necessarily mean that the baby is still hungry, especially if they've nursed for a while already. I only ever nursed Joe on one side at a time, and he generally refused the second side, which I took to mean he was no longer hungry. By supplementing with the bottle after the breast, you're increasing the chances of creating nipple confusion, and I don't think there's any reason to believe baby is still that hungry (babies will drink - a lot - from a bottle even when they're not hungry, because it drips into their mouth and they have no choice but to keep swallowing or choke).

Instead of trying to force the second breast or do a bottle, I'd try just carrying baby around for a little bit, bouncing a little, and see if that calms her. After that, if she's still rooting, try the second breast. She may need more burping and settling between feeds, or she may decide she's full after a minute (like us, babies sometimes need a moment to figure out their tummies are full after a meal).

I completely agree with PP - nursing her is so much better than pumping and bottle feeding. If you want to do a bottle a day or something like that just to give yourself a break and get your baby used to the bottle so that you can go back to work, etc., that's fine, but I think you're working harder than you need to pumping for a bottle after every feeding. If she's still really hungry after a little walk around the house, she'll latch on.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

with the above.

You've been dealing with oversupply, right? Overactive letdown too? Babies can get plenty of milk in a very short amount of time when you have OS/OALD. I would definitely stop the bottles. That can end up causing much more trouble in the long run. Babies cannot stop the flow of the bottle. They must drink or they will choke. Just because your baby will drink a bottle after nursing, it does not mean that she is hungry. Also, pumping will also only exacerbate OS and OALD, which usually makes fussiness at the breast so much worse! The less pumping you can do, the better off you will be. This early on it is best to nurse exclusively and not pump at all.

Try nursing in a reclined position. I would lean back on a few pillows, put my baby on my stomach or chest, and let him latch. That slows the flow of the milk and helps such a small baby nurse more comfortably. You can also try latching your baby while keeping her in motion if she is fussing at the breast. I would walk with my on in my arms or in a sling, bounce him on my knee, or rock him back and forth while latching. If your baby finishes a feed and refuses the breast, then try other means of soothing (take her outside, give her a bath, rock her and sing a song, etc.) then offer the breast again a little later. Short frequent feedings are very normal for breastfed babies. That is actually a much healthier feeding pattern than filling up with too much milk and going longer between feedings.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*esthervegan View Post
    Your LO is probably able to transfer a full feed in the 5-10 minutes she nurses, so when you bottle feed her 1-2 ounces of pumped milk after she nurses you could be
    1. over feeding her....could lead to reflux

I totally agree but she "acts" hungry and nothing calms her ??

2.teaching her that if she fusses she will get a bottle, and therefore she might begin to prefer the bottle
    3. Some babies who transfer milk quickly enjoy comfort nursing on a soft/less full breast

I wouldn't mind that but she goes nuts and wants to latch but wont

But if a mom continues to pump after a full feed her body produces more milk and therefore the baby misses the chance to nurse for comfort

I dont pump I give her what I have in the fridge/freezer

Some mothers give a pacifier when the baby needs to suckle for comfort until their milk production calms down so the baby can comfort nurse after a full feed.

I do the pacifier as well but she will totally sucks crazy on it and spits it out and cries ?? I then feel she is hungry and not just wanting to suck (usually she does good on the pacifier so when she rejects it I think shes still hungry

HOWEVER if you have been consistently bottle feeding her 1-2 ounces after every nursing session. she is missing out on adequately building your supply to meet her needs and you might become pump dependent to maintain a supply.

Yes, I do not want this

Your baby is still quite young. A day or two in bed with her to offer her the relaxed atmosphere of getting back to the breast might be the just the thing to transfer her away from the bottle for now.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post

Instead of trying to force the second breast or do a bottle, I'd try just carrying baby around for a little bit, bouncing a little, and see if that calms her. After that, if she's still rooting, try the second breast. She may need more burping and settling between feeds, or she may decide she's full after a minute (like us, babies sometimes need a moment to figure out their tummies are full after a meal).
    I will def. try this. I guess you are right....if hungry enough she will eat

Also if you're giving her freezer milk rather than pumping, you're putting your supply at jeopardy, because your baby's taking in more milk than you're producing that day, and your breasts are not getting the stimulation to make more. So even if you have a freezer stash, you STILL have to pump every time you give your baby a bottle. It's much easier just to nurse! So I would nurse nurse nurse and get your supply where it needs to be that way.

P.S. I had oversupply and OALD, and Joe only ever nursed one breast at a time. This is really common with OS moms. Some OS moms will even put the baby back on the same breast two feedings in a row, if their supply is really high. So when I saw from the PP that you have OS, I was thinking, one breast is normal! Your daughter probably doesn't need to feed on the other breast at all. No problem.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.