Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need Help Please - Allergic Reaction to Antibiotics

Default Need Help Please - Allergic Reaction to Antibiotics

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry but this story is going to be long, but I'm desperate and need advice, so please share any thoughts or advice you may have. I would be very appreciative.

It all started on Wednesday when I developed a sore throat; the sore throat turned into strep, a sinus infection and 103 degree temperature by Thursday afternoon. I went to the doctor on Friday morning and was prescribed Amoxicillin, which I've taken MANY times in my life and have never had a problem. About three hours after I took my one and only pill, I developed hives on my hands. I ignorantly attributed it to the severe heat wave we've been having. That night when I went to pump, I was fine for the first five minutes, but then it started to HURT! Badly. Burning pain. I turned it down a bit and continued because I am a crazy person and giving milk to my child has always been #1. By Saturday morning, I had blisters all over my feet, hands and on my nipples. Nursing has been excruciating. Pumping actually feels better than nursing.

I went to urgent care and was told that yes, I was having an allergic reaction and was switched to Keflex (a milder antibiotic, I was told) and Prednisone, to counteract the effects of the Amoxicillin. Well, I'm on Day 2 of the steroids and seeing no change. I can't nurse my daughter because she seems less interested for one thing (can't blame her for not being interested in blistery nipples ), and the burning sensation is so severe, I feel nauseous. When pumping, which I can only bring myself to do twice a day the past two days, I use the triple nipple ointment I've used at the beginning of nursing my girls, as well as Lansinoh ointment, to "lube" things up, and that has made things more tolerable, but not pleasant. I've also been pumping on a way lower suction and it's taking me forever.

I'm worried about losing my milk. My left nipple looks terrible...it's red and crusty and I have no idea if/when it will heal. I'm being told I've nursed Gabbi long enough and to just quit, but I'm a very stubborn person and I want her to decide when we are done.

Needless to say, I'm frustrated, scared and becoming depressed. I just want to feel better and be able to feed my child.

Has anyone been here before? Does anyone have anything they can share? Anything at all, because I'm pretty desperate?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Jen
    Hi, I'm Jen, mommy to Victoria (5/24/09, self-weaned 11/1/10) and Gabrielle (5/20/11, still going strong!). Always and sometimes ...when will I stop? When Gabbi says so!

Nursing Gabbi for fourteen months and counting!

The ladies here have gotten me through some rough times!

Default Re: Need Help Please - Allergic Reaction to Antibiotics

I would say to nurse on demand and see where it goes. When you are better, take a nursing vacation and rebuild things.

Allergies never happen on first exposure. It takes repeated exposure.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: Need Help Please - Allergic Reaction to Antibiotics

I haven't had similar reactions, but I know I can now go without pumping during the day and the milk is fine all day on the weekends. I also went on a 5 day trip to help out my Mom, only pumped twice a day, and my milk was fine when I got back. Try to do what you can, and work back when you feel better.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting