Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby not eating! Help!!

Default Baby not eating! Help!!

My 7 week old son seems to be not eating. I breastfeed him on demand but he normally eats ever 2.5 to 3 hours. For the past two days he has had very few feedings. Today he has had one longer feeding and a few little snacks. I haven't felt my milk come in at all today. I got worried so I did pump and I did get 4 ounces pretty quickly. He has had 3 dirty diapers and a bunch of wet ones. I'm so worried that if he doesn't start to eat my milk will go away! Any advice! Please help!!

Default Re: Baby not eating! Help!!

First of all: don't panic. As long as baby is producing adequate wet diapers, he is getting enough even if he's nursing very quickly or relatively infrequently. If it's coming out, you know it went in.

Second, before you start to really worry, keep a careful eye on feedings. A 7 week old baby should be feeding at least 8 times a day. Anything less than that and you want to start pushing him to nurse.

Third, as long as baby continues to produce adequate diapers and to nurse at least 8 times a day, don't worry about fast feedings. Babies usually become faster feeders after they have been nursing for a while, often capable of getting a full meal in just a few minutes at the breast. And as long as diaper output is okay, stay away from the pump, because you don't need it. Getting 4 oz very rapidly indicates that you have plenty of milk. It's normal to no longer feel "full" or engorged after you have been nursing a while, since milk production adjusts so that supply meets demand very precisely, without a lot of extra left over.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

he may have just gone through a growth spurt and be slowing down his feedings now that it has passed. try not to worry about feeling your milk, your body is starting to regulate and you shouldnt feel engorged.

just keep an eye on his diapers and overall activity.

anther possibility is that he simple may be sick, may not be feeling well for a few days. if you think he is sick you could call the dr. just keep him close and try to nurse often.

he could be getting better at nursing too, more effective sucking.

overall if he seems alert and healthy and has good output he should be fine.
    Last edited by @llli*mtmama; June 18th, 2012 at 06:48 PM.

drew0427,
    I am so glad you posted this. I feel like I am in the same boat- except I dont think I could pump 4 oz out quickly! ( I remember only being able to pumped maybe 1-2 oz each time from both! after he nurses) My little babe is 8 weeks today! and we seem to be doing well as a nursing team for the most part, but I worry so much about my milk supply. He seems to nurse short intervals, sometimes just little snacks. I do nurse him frequently, as much as he wants. Every hour sometimes it seems. I was wondering if pumping just once in a while would help keep my milk going? pumping has been troublesome for me in the past so I stay away from it for now. Weirdly enough it seemed at first my left breast had oversupply but now it seems it may be my right and I worry about my left now. So many questions I could drive myself crazy. I just keep up with these posts from experienced Mamas! It has been a life saver! He will see his Ped. this Thursday. Its looking like he may be in the 50th percentile for weight at 2 months, but he was in 75th at one month. YIKES! This is making me nervous as well. Anyone can speak to that please!? And what has me nervous is now I am doing Bible School at Church this week from 5-9pm. Around the time we would nurse on and off through the evening- I nursed him 3 times last night during this, but I felt rushed, really didnt feel like it was right. My mom is helping me and she is great. I have just been right there checkign on them off and on. But still thinking about pumping a little? I am driving my fam crazy but I dont care- I want to ebf and dont want to end this wonderful relationship just because I missed a feeding or didnt respond quicky enough. Anyone else out there this anxious? I am trying to relax! Thanks Ladies!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommylove View Post
    drew0427,Anyone else out there this anxious? I am trying to relax! Thanks Ladies!
    My DS is 9 weeks and yes, I am about as anxious as you sound! I have different worries, but worries nonetheless
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommylove View Post
    He seems to nurse short intervals, sometimes just little snacks. I do nurse him frequently, as much as he wants.
    Good. There is nothing wrong with "snacking". Small, frequent meals are normal for young babies, and also for older babies, toddlers, and young children. It is not until later in childhood that children can be expected to go long periods without eating, and there is good evidence that "snacking" is a healthier eating pattern for people of all ages than infrequent large meals, which tend to result in people overeating. In addition, frequent feedings are good for maintaining supply, for treating oversupply, and for preventing nasty things like plugged ducts.

I was wondering if pumping just once in a while would help keep my milk going?
    As long as you nurse on demand, there is no reason to worry about your milk supply. Pumps are great for moms who work outside the home or who want to leave their babies for an extended period, but remember that for hundreds of thousands of years moms successfully nursed their babies without the aide of pumps.

Its looking like he may be in the 50th percentile for weight at 2 months, but he was in 75th at one month. YIKES! This is making me nervous as well. Anyone can speak to that please!?
    This is very normal for a breastfed baby. First of all, it is quite normal for a baby to follow one growth trajectory inside the womb and a very different trajectory outside the womb. Second, many breastfed babies gain weight extremely fast in the first few months. This does not mean they will always be chubsters! Somewhere around the middle of the first year, most breastfed babies start to level off or even drop percentiles on the weight-for-age charts, because as they become more mobile they tend to put more calories into action than fat. The opposite is true of formula-fed babies: they tend to gain weight very slowly in the first few months, and then escalate in the second six months. My pediatrician says this is because "breastfed babies don't walk around with a bottle hanging out of their mouth all day".

Just to give a quick example, here's my first daughter's weight history:
    Birth: 20th percentile
    2 months: 75th percentile
    4 months: 99th percentile
    6 months: 85th percentile
    12 months: 75th percentile

And what has me nervous is now I am doing Bible School at Church this week from 5-9pm. Around the time we would nurse on and off through the evening- I nursed him 3 times last night during this, but I felt rushed, really didnt feel like it was right. My mom is helping me and she is great. I have just been right there checkign on them off and on. But still thinking about pumping a little? I am driving my fam crazy but I dont care- I want to ebf and dont want to end this wonderful relationship just because I missed a feeding or didnt respond quicky enough.
    Is your baby coming with you to school? If so, I would not bother to pump. One missed feeding after 6 weeks should not be an obstacle to breastfeeding success- all you have to do is nurse on demand and your baby will get all he needs.

Anyone else out there this anxious?
    Plenty of first-time moms are this anxious, but try to assess for yourself if it's impacting you in a negative way. Postpartum anxiety and depression are very common!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Mommal:

Thank you so much for responding and addressing my concerns! Yes, the babe is with me at Vacation Bible School, but as I lead the music he is in the nursery with my Mom. So I definately do have flexibility, but mainly it is just out of our routine. We did pretty well tonight. I was less nervous and I got to nurse him frequently. I am one that will not care to nurse in public, ofcourse I try to be discreet, but I mean, I WILL Make sure he nurses! But it seems like when we are not in our comfort zone at home it is easy for us to get thrown off a little.

I definately feel that it is important to take a look at how we feel and work through and on it. Pregnancy, delivery and being a new mom can be overwhelming! Those first few weeks I had a lot of tears and overwhelming fears... a lot had to do with the health scare for the babe and trama and interventions during delivery-another topic another day- so I definately understand it can be hard. the main thing that affects me the most now is lack of sleep! But I think this old body is slowly getting used to it. Thanks again for the help!