Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping after dealing with oversupply

Question Pumping after dealing with oversupply

I was wondering if anyone could give me some help or advice with this: I have just finished with the worst of an oversupply issue and am confused as to how to begin pumping again without ending up right back to where I started with my baby choking, sputtering and fighting with me during every feeding and me being so full I could burst!

I took the LLLI's advice and strategies for dealing with oversupply http://www.llli.org/faq/oversupply.html and for me and my little one things have improved. I plan to return to work the beginning of August and want to make sure my supply is still strong enough to sustain her while I am away during my very long work day (11hrs).

Almost as soon as I started pumping I was getting 2-4 oz from each side and (mistakingly so) was pumping that much twice a day. I was wondering if anyone could give me a schedule or tips on how often and how long and when I should be pumping and how much I should pump during each session so that I am not "mass-producing" again?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Pumping after dealing with oversupply

Wait until a week or to before returning to work before pumping again. Only pump what you need for your first day back (1-1.5 ounces per hour away, so 11-17 ounces for an 11 hour day plus maybe 1-2 3 ounce "just in case" bottles.

Pick one time during the day to pump. Pump at that same time every day, as this is less likely to result in oversupply than is pumping at different times each day. You can just pump a little milk and then stop. So if you pump 3 ounces each day for seven days you will have 21 ounces which is more than enough to get through your first day back, plus a little for padding. You will pump at work for the next day, so that is all you will need.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).