Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Silly/curious Question

Default Silly/curious Question

I was just wondering, I have a 9 month old who is a very distracted nurser, So in the afternoons, I will pump and give it to him in a bottle. On average I will pump between 3-4 ounces after about 3-4 hours. Is this a pretty decent amount at this stage?

He seems to be pretty happy with what he is getting, and is a really good solids eater and nurser. He still nurses about every 4 hours or so. Gaining weight like he should and healthy as can be. We both LOVE nursing, and he shows no sign of being ready to wean any time soon! I'm willing to snuggle, I mean nurse him as long as he wants

Like I said this is more a curiosity question then a problem question.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Default Re: Silly/curious Question

That seems like a good/normal amount to me, but mine is a very unofficial and personal answer as I think everyone's different! I think it really depends on how much the baby is eating solids, and other factors - since the amount you make can vary and be affected by many things over a period of time, including how often baby nurses and whether they are having a growth spurt, etc. Plus the amount a mom pumps isn't necessarily a true indicator of the amount the baby is taking in when nursing (either more or less, depending how nursing is going ...).

Glad to hear things are going so well with your LO - it's great to hear about positive experiences in breastfeeding!

Sounds normal, but pumping is a very poor indicator of supply. If your baby is healthy and growing well, then that tells you all you need to know.

They don't work for everyone, but I have some nursing necklaces that really helped us with the distractibility. I hate to pump (more work, more discomfort, more dishes), so the nursing necklaces and nursing in the Ergo while walking got us through the distractibility phases.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Question Re: Silly/curious Question

Just wondering, Phi, how do you nurse in the Ergo?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    Sounds normal, but pumping is a very poor indicator of supply. If your baby is healthy and growing well, then that tells you all you need to know.

They don't work for everyone, but I have some nursing necklaces that really helped us with the distractibility. I hate to pump (more work, more discomfort, more dishes), so the nursing necklaces and nursing in the Ergo while walking got us through the distractibility phases.

I loosen the shoulder straps so that my son drops down to where his mouth is near a nipple and pop out a breast. It can take a little practice to get it down pat, but it's really super simple once you've got the hang of it.

In fact I nursed my son (19 months old now) in the Ergo at the natural history museum just today!

ETA: Now that he is pretty big I sometimes loosen the strap around my waist a little bit to get him even lower.
    Last edited by @llli*phi; June 27th, 2012 at 12:14 AM.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).