Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple pain

Default Nipple pain

My LO is 4 weeks old, EBF. Sometimes when she nurses on my right breast, she gets a good latch, the pulls her head back and "pops" my nipple out of her mouth. It hurts like crazy when she does this and she will do it repeatedly. I've tried letting her begin by nursing on the left breast first (she has only done this a couple times on the left side), to ensure she's less excited/irritated by the time she begins to nurse on the right. I'm not sure how much this helps, as the behavior isn't every time she nurses. Is this normal behavior? How do I discourage her from "popping" my nipple out of her mouth. I'm worried she is going to injure my breast.

Default Re: Nipple pain

Popping off the breast-here are some ideas for causes. 1) forceful letdown. See this article to see if this fits in any other way. http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/
    2) baby does not like the position, or does not like it on that side. What positions have you tried? Have you tried laid back positioning? Gravity keeps baby on in this position. I mean, not if baby really wants to pop off, but generally. laid back: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf and www.biologicalnurturing.com
    3) Sometimes this can be due to a slow letdown, is my understanding.
    4) I don’t remember what age this happened but my oldest son would pop off and look at me in surprise when I talked sometimes-not to him so much, but if I was talking loudly to someone in another room or something. I called it his “Hey, my milk is talking” face.

5) you are putting slight pressure on the back of babies head while holding him on to nurse.