Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: IS this normal for a 8.5 month old?

Default IS this normal for a 8.5 month old?

Hi Mommas:

Just wondering if you all have experienced the same at this age. My DD is 8.5 months. She never took a bottle and is not very interested in a sippy yet, though she will drink sips from an open cup. We do BLW with her and she takes a bite here or there, but not very interested in that either. The thing is that she is cutting out nursing sessions during the day. She nurses twice in the night (one side) and one side in the am. She'll nurse before her morning and afternoon naps (usually both sides) and before bed (both sides). She used to nurse snacks in between about every 1-3 hours during the rest of the day (one side usually), but is cutting these out slowly. She is on the move and likes to roll, crawl all over the bed when we lay down to nurse (in a quiet dark space...it's the only way!!!). She is cutting down on her nursing sessions, but doesn't eat or drink much else. Is this normal? I usually count 7-8 nursing sessions/day but only half of those are both sides/long sessions. The rest are 2-3 min snacks on one side. Is this what I can expect at this age? Thanks

Default Re: IS this normal for a 8.5 month old?

It sounds like your LO has reached the age when she's gotten so busy with fun things like rolling and crawling and playing that she is forgetting to eat. It's pretty common at this age. While it sounds like your LO is still finding a way to get her needs met, I suggest actively trying to make sure she nurses at least 7-8 times a day even if the nursing sessions are short. At this age it's quite possible that she doesn't need to spend a lot of time nursing in order to get a full meal.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks Mommal. I try and get her to nurse often. I am at home with her most days and we try a lot. She just rolls off or plays with my face/necklace/whatever. It pisses her off if I push too hard! Sometimes she will get on for a few sips and not nurse to let-down. If she makes it that far, it is fast and furious for 30sec-1 min tops then that's it! Does that count?

Sounds like my son and he's just fine. Wasn't worried at all.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I guess my gut says that if you hear her swallowing, like she's getting a letdown, the feeding counts even if it's really short. Would it help if you nursed in a low-distraction environment, like a darkened, quiet bedroom?

I am sure all is well, as Babygirl05 says. I just like to err on the side of caution, especially when baby is under a year.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I think this is the territory we're headed for, once this squirming really becomes crawling. From the onset of the distractability, I was trying the darkened room bit, but I think sometimes that makes him mad because he thinks I'm trying to lure him to sleep (he fights sleep so hard). So recently I've given up on the whole lying down to get a good long relaxing nursing session in, and try to make it a game, like part of his crawling "practice" where I only expect him to be silly and latch on for a millisecond, unless he's really grumpy enough to be needing a nap. I ditched the bras at home so there's that much less impediment for him in case the mood strikes him but is just a fleeting thought, and I hope that he gets enough sips throughout the day to add up. It's driving me crazy since I'm always covered in milk from a letdown that's spraying for a baby that is no longer focused or even latched. So that's how I've been trying to push the milk without annoying the baby with boring lying around for milk.

It's also very very dry and hot here, so I am thinking he may just be thirsty often without necessarily being hungry.