Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First day back questions...

Default First day back questions...

I saw that these questions have been answered in bits and pieces in other posts so please forgive the repetition but...

I have EBF my soon to be 3 month old. I return to work thursday. (4 days from now). I work 12 hr shifts as a nurse. I a plan to pump 3x a day (as I feel on our busy unit that is all ill be able to). I currently have 150+ oz in the freezer. Here's my questions.

1. How much milk do I need to leave the first day? I assume this comes from the freezer stash. She's only takes 3.5 oz from a bottle once. She refuses it when I'm home and has only taken an ounce to 1.5 oz at other times.

2. How much should I put in each bottle?

3. I get the concept of leaving today's pumping for tomorrow but I rarely work 2 days in a row. Do I leave what I pumped thurs for Monday?

And any other helpful hints tips or things I'm forgetting?? Thanks!!

Default Re: First day back questions...

1. Leave 1-1.5 oz per hour away, so assuming no commute time, 12-18 oz for first shift. Yes, from freezer stash.
    2. Since she's taking small amounts anyway, I would make these in 2-3 oz bottles - maybe 3 3oz and then a bunch of 1-2 oz to top her off when she wants a little more?
    3. Hm. Thurs to Mon is 4 days, and that's definitely safe but also slightly on the older side. The other option is to freeze Thurs' milk immediately, and rotate out your freezer stash. Both letting milk sit for 4 days and freezing it diminishes some of its awesomeness, but I don't know the relative amounts. I'd say this one's kind of a tossup. But if you're pumping more than 12-18 oz, make sure you freeze the overage right away.

Good luck!! You can do this.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Re: leaving your milk from Thursday to Monday, you should be able to do this as long as you don't have lipase issues. You might want to check your milk just to be sure it will stay good that long. Just leave an ounce in the fridge and taste-test it every day until it goes bad. If you don't have excess lipase (most moms don't, but it's not uncommon either), it should last up to 8 days in the fridge. If you do, it might only be good for a day or so, so you may need to scald it and/or freeze it. Learned this the hard way myself! Good luck

So the first day went fairly well but now I have more questions. ( 12 weeks old, 14 pounds)

1. I fed her right before I left (630) and then pumped at 10, 2, and 6 and home and fed her at 9. I was able to pump 21 ounces (and could have done more but felt rushed.) Is this enough?
    2. Baby girl ate 12 ounces. What should she be eating in the 12 hours? She nursed 3 times before bed and twice that morning.

She's never been a fan of the bottle and apparently they had trouble in the beginning but by that evening had got the hang of it. They were only heating 2 oz at a time so as not to waste any (which I appreciate) but I hear today that she would get mad after the 2 oz wanting more but by time they heated it she was over it and too angry to eat so I think next time (Monday) I'll ask them to heat 4oz at a time.

Thanks ladies!!

Congrats on the first day going well! I work at a hospital too, and can totally relate I love those 12 hr shifts when I'm off for multiple days, not so much when I'm gone so long during the day and only get to see my baby when she's asleep

12 ozs IMO is okay since it's about 1oz per hr, and you fed her right before you left. Can totally emphathize with feeling rushed
    I make 3 ox bottles for my baby. And I think that it is super awesome that they care about not wasting your milk!! My sitter threw away my breast milk in the begining because she thought it was bad (you know how it seperates?)