Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need to pump overnight?

Default Need to pump overnight?

My DS is turning 1 in a week, and my DH and I are planning on going for a night by ourselves. We've done overnights before, and I've always pumped, but I'm wondering if it's necessary now that he is 12 months. I have enough milk for him as he needs it, but will it effect my supply if I do not pump?
    -Arin

Sealed for time and eternity to Chris on 08/26/10
    Mom to Ezra 06/24/11
    and Rebekah 12/27/13
    Proudly

Default Re: Need to pump overnight?

Does DS normally nurse at night? If so (especially if it's more than once), I'd say it's safest to do so. I got myself into a bit of trouble taking the opportunity to sleep when I was at a two-day out of town job interview. I was really engorged and felt awful. I would be less worried about your supply (that should straighten itself out) than whether your body is used to going that long. But it really depends on how much night nursing your body is used to right now - much more so than the specific age of your baby.

Oops - I just reread your post and realized you're thinking about not pumping at ALL. I definitely WOULDN'T do this, unless your DS is almost weaned. For the same reasons - your body isn't used to it. But it all depends on how much DS is nursing.

It would only be from about 6 at night till 9 or so in the morning, and he would usually nurse about 2 or 3 times in this time period (he's been sleeping for about 7 hour stretches at night recently)... I was planning on bringing my pump, in case of enforgement, and was thinking that I'd probably pump at the same time of his normal night feeding. But was just seeing if I skipped the 4 am one and the 7:30 am one and just fed him when we got home (he's a baby that doesn't ever turn down a nursing session), if that was a safe practice in terms of supply?
    -Arin

Sealed for time and eternity to Chris on 08/26/10
    Mom to Ezra 06/24/11
    and Rebekah 12/27/13
    Proudly

Ah, OK. I think you're probably fine for supply, just be careful about engorgement. It's possible you might take a minor hit re supply, but I doubt it would have an impact other than really short-term.

I agree with pp. No need to pump for supply for that short a period of time, (unless in your experience you have a very sensitive milk supply) but there may be some real discomfort if you cannot get milk out somehow. If you don't feel like lugging the pump along, can you hand express?

I wouldn't take it. I'd want to nurse first thing in the morning though
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!