Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help... new mom

Default Please help... new mom

Hello... My baby girl is 15 days old and I've been struggling a bit with her, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I get her to brestfeed for almost one hour, but most of the times she´s still hungry so some times I'm giving her formula as the prediatician told me. Can you give me some advice of how to produce more milk?

On the other side, she has a lot of gas and it's impossible to get them out so she can't be on her crib making us to carry her al the time. This happens even when she only breastfeed.

Thank you for the help

Default Re: Please help... new mom

Is she falling asleep while feeding and the you think she is sleeping so you put her down, only to have her wake up a short time later screaming like she has never eaten? It could be CCK.....Do you have the womanly art of breast feeding book? There is a small section on CCK on page 107. If you don't have the book, ask your LL leader about it!! you may be able to cut out the formula all together. Many pedes will push formula over bf!!

Welcome and congratulations on the new baby!

Can you tell us why the pediatrician advised using formula in the first place? Also, how much formula are you using in a 24 hour period? And how does nursing feel? Are you in any pain when you nurse?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

What makes you think she is still hungry?

And it is normal for a baby to want to be carried I have to bottlefeed my fourth and he still wants to be carried look into getting a sling or wrap.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Wow 15 days! Aw sweet baby. Congratulations.

The only reason a baby needs to be given supplements is if they are not gaining appropriately on breastmilk.

If baby is not gaining appropriately, breastfeeding should be assessed by a breastfeeding supportive and knowledgeable person (usually an IBCLC) to ascertain WHY baby is not gaining. Sometimes supplements are never needed even with slow weight gain, if the issue is corrected quickly enough.

If you do supplement with formula, you will probably need to pump for the times supplements are given. This is a pain but I am concerned about your milk supply going forward if you do not. Of course then you can supplement with whatever you pump, as well. However, if you are able to pump enough, that would show the issue was not milk supply, but something else. Sometimes it has nothing to do with your supply but rather with how well baby can transfer milk while nursing.

Is getting baby to latch difficult? Is nursing painful or uncomfortable for you? Does baby pull off, sputter, gag or cough at the breast? How many times a 24 hour day does baby nurse? What is baby’s weight gain or loss history and what has babies output (poops) been like?

On the other side, she has a lot of gas and it's impossible to get them out so she can't be on her crib making us to carry her al the time. This happens even when she only breastfeed.
    I don’t even know what to make of this. How do you know it's being caused by the breastmilk? Digestive issues can happen long after feedings-particularly with formula, which takes way longer than breastmilk to fully digest. In fact, formula is so much more difficult to digest than breastmilk I would suspect it before anything else of causing gastrointestinal discomfort. As far as baby getting more air while nursing and needing to burp, it's possible you have some forceful letdown, or some latch issue causing that. Holding baby in your arms upright-against your chest or against your shoulder for at least 30 minutes post nursing may help. Generally, it is normal for a newborn baby to be happier when being held kind of upright and carried. Up until 15 days ago, all baby knew was being held and carried, 24/7. If you need a break, do you have helpers around who cab hold & walk baby after you nurse, or have you looked into a sling or wrap -a safe soft baby carrier?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*logan0512 View Post
    It could be CCK.....Do you have the womanly art of breast feeding book? There is a small section on CCK on page 107.
    What is CCK?

I would look deeper into why you need formula. As long as baby is gaining, being hungry at the breast is not a sign baby needs supplementation. Take some fenugreek, make sure you are getting plenty of sleep and water, and pump to get your supply up. I agree with the upright position and try to bicycle baby's legs to get gas out. Have you looked into why baby is gassy? My baby was very gassy until I cut out most dairy. On the crib issue, try a sling and possibly letting your baby sleep with you. When my baby has gas and trouble sleeping, he will wake up but go back asleep once he sees mommy is there. Constant contact is ok for a baby, don't look at it as a troubling sign.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hpuckett View Post
    What is CCK?
    CCK is the abbreviation for cholecystokinin, the hormone that is released when a newborn suckles. As I understand it, this hormone is triggered after baby has suckled long enough and paves the way for baby to feel satisfied and to sleep.

This is why it is normal for a newborn to nurse to sleep, or may suckle for a time, take a short little snooze, and then wake, wanting to nurse again for a bit to get into a deeeper snooze. It is also one important reason why sucking on a pacifier may make a young baby sleep through feedings or fall asleep on the pacifier and miss a feeding, which will cause slow weight gain in baby and low supply in mom. It is also an important reason why a baby will often "chug" a bottle after nursing even if they are getting plenty at the breast--they still want to suckle, and the contents of the bottle are then taken in whether baby is hungry or not.

Bottom line, a baby taking a bottle after nursing does not mean a baby NEEDS or wants more milk. Again, the way to tell a baby is getting enough is 1) an appropriate weight gain and 2) on a day to day level, an appropriate amount of poop. Infant behavior often gives us clues to what is going on if something is wrong, but can be very misleading as a indicator of poor intake.