Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 week old breastfeeding help - PLEASE HELP ME AND MY BOY

Default 5 week old breastfeeding help - PLEASE HELP ME AND MY BOY

My son is 5 weeks old.

He weighed 5 lbs 12 oz when born, and currenlty weighs 9 lbs 1 oz

i think that i have a fore milk, hind milk imbalance and an over active letdown.

here's why i think so....

he's SO gassy, crampy and screaming in pain often
    he eats ve3ry frequently but only latches for 5 minutes
    hiccups all the time
    high weight gain
    sputtering and coughing when he's nursing

the only thing is that his poops arent green. they are amber colored but pure liquid.

i'm getting so frustrated because i feel like he's getting too much lactose in the fore milk and thats whats making his stomache hurt.
    i feel like its my fault that he's having a hard time but all i can think to do is keep nursing him.

i tried block feeding for 48 hours and yesterday was our first day going back to nursing and offering the other breast second.
    i can't see a difference yet and i thought maybe i would have by now.

do i just need to be patient?
    am i wrong to think that things would be smoother?

help please!!

Default Re: 5 week old breastfeeding help - PLEASE HELP ME AND MY BO

I'm gonna say no, you're not wrong for thinking things would be smooth! I thought the same thing The reality was...is...quite a shocker!

I'm not the expert around here, just wanted to let you know you're not alone The ladies will be super helpful. Welcome to forums!
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

have you tried laid-back positioning? or side-lying? these take some getting used to, but can be a real life-saver once you master them. it's what worked (and still works, 7 months in) best for us. also bicycling of legs can help with gassiness. blockk feeding may take a while to show results, have you tried just using one breast per feed unless he asks for the other side, say during cluster feeding? maybe you could try unlatching him at letdown and letting it spray into a towel or burp cloth or something?

it will get better eventually, but it may take some time. i am literally lying here on the ground, flat on my back, my son napping/nursing on top of me, with milk shooting up 5 or 6 inches into the air at letdown. but now he thinks it's hilarious, and no longer suffers, he just decides to unlatch and watch.

I agree with pp. last week a mom with a 7 week old who had been struggling for weeks with os and was ready to quit breastfeeding called me as a last resort. I told her about laid back, she tried it that day, and it was like night and day according to the mom. I do not expect those kinds of dramatic results usually, but it was pretty cool.

Please read these articles and try all the suggestions. I have also included more info on nursing “laid back” or “uphill” as kellymom puts it. Block feeding only helps lower supply, which may be called for, but it will take a little time and you will see more immediate results (usually) if you try the many things to help baby handle the flow as well.

A big mistake many moms with oald/os issues make is to reduce nursing session frequency. This is the last thing you want to do, even (or maybe especially) when block feeding, you want to continue to nurse very frequently. The shorter the time between nursing sessions, the less chance the breast has to get all filled up with foremilk. Also many moms with oald/os are also pumping. If you are pumping, stop, at least until this issue is resolved.

As far as the "too much" foremilk causing discomfort for your baby- yes, with extreme forceful letdown, this can be an issue. But you are not in any way failing your baby. ALL breastmilk is superior in every way to all formula. OALD is a temporary and solvable issue.

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/ and http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...ggrimacing.pdf

laid back: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf and www.biologicalnurturing.com

If the ideas in these do not begin to improve the situation in the next few days, you could also consider trying "FDBF" aka the "Full Drainage and Block Feeding method for reducing milk production. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2075483/

Totally with PPs.

I had a spray the cat across the couch kind of letdown and dealt with similar issues to what you've described.

Definitely try the laid back positioning. It can take a lot of tweaking (e.g. recline a little less, a little more, put the baby in different positions on your stomach or chest) before you find something that works, so don't give up on it too quickly.

I had to give a tummy massage then bicycle my son's legs between every feeding to work out the gas incrementally. He also got a warm bath every evening followed by more leg bicycling. That helped a lot. I think some babies gulp a lot of air when there is overactive letdown, so the gas can occur even in the absence of a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance and I wouldn't get too hung up on that. Nursing on one breast per feeding did help me a little with gassiness, but my son was still pretty gassy throughout much of his infancy, even long after I got my oversupply under control. Fortunately, he dealt with it much better as he grew and even started giggling about it sometimes.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Excellent advice from the PPs. Start with the uphill nursing and if that doesn't help, think about graduating to block feeding.

Don't feel like you're "at fault" for your baby's discomfort. Oversupply and fast letdown and bad gas are all temporary, and well worth the price of being a breastfed baby!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"