Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: "Success" Stories?

Question "Success" Stories?

I was wondering if anyone here works/ed retail/service sector positions and managed to successfully continue BF?

I know it sounds odd. But I was reading about how women in jobs like mine tend to give up BF sooner due to lack of time to pump adequately...and I'm just worried about 1) my semi-lack of a schedule (evenings 5 days a week + alternating open&close weekends) 2) my lack of pumping at the exact same time every shift 3) the 'stress' of my job affecting milk supply 4) not having time to pump until milk stops flowing (having to stop at 10 min regardless).

Advice? Success stories?
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

Default Re: "Success" Stories?

hi raejoy!
    My younger sister pumped and breastfed/bottle fed her dd1 for 12 months. She also worked full time as a teacher. my sister pumped for 14 months for ds2 and worked full time. She pumped in the morning before work, and she pumped during her lunch break.
    she did have a private space to pump while eating her lunch, although she did sometimes use the car adapter to pump, eat and listen to her favorite radio station.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I work retail in HR and Last year the manager of another building went back and successfully pumped for a year for her daughter. It's really NOT that hard. Retail places, are the place in this day and age most likely to be the victim of class action lawsuits. They are all VERY sensitive to that. So look up your rights in your state and lean on them if you need to. Basically in terms of what you already get in terms of breaks you should get extra time to pump if you need it. But usually what that lends itself is your two fifteen minute breaks running LONG on an 8hour shift plus your lunch. It shouldn't matter what your shift is because you should essentially be pumping in substitution of every time you'd be feeding your kid. And the rule of thumb is that you need to be leaving 1-1.5 oz for every hour you are away from your child. So that is what you are shooting to be pumping. If you are working 8 hour shifts three sessions of pumping should be enough. If you are working shorter shifts, you should be able to pump less. The most important thing to establish is WHERE you will be pumping.

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks gals!

It's not that work's giving me a hard time about it. I use one of the exec leader's office to pump in.
    I guess because I get slightly engorged I panic about supply.

And unfortunately Kansas doesn't have a specific working & pumping legislation. I keep meaning to see if Target does. Again though, it's not that they don't let me.

There is a Federal law now mandating pumping breaks- I called the Labor board and they told me all about it and how ti make it work for my job. It actually allows for longer breaks if you need it. I always got engorged until about 7 months. How much are you getting each day?

That's awesome, I didn't know about that law!

During the week, when I work 5 1/2 hours, I pump once and get 4-6 oz. This past weekend, my first 8-hour shifts, I pumped twice each shift and got 7-8 oz.

Not in retail, but I pumped for nearly 10 months after I went back to work with my first. I was a surgery resident at the time, working >12 hours a day, doing operations with irregular pumping schedule and not always having a ton of time. It is hard work, but very worth it. I won't lie, by the end I was very sick of it, but I'm also proud of the hard work it took. I would check in to company policy; you may need to speak up and ask, but if it's in the manual you are in the right when it comes to HR. Best of luck!
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*blue2000 View Post
    Not in retail, but I pumped for nearly 10 months after I went back to work with my first. I was a surgery resident at the time, working >12 hours a day, doing operations with irregular pumping schedule and not always having a ton of time. It is hard work, but very worth it. I won't lie, by the end I was very sick of it, but I'm also proud of the hard work it took. I would check in to company policy; you may need to speak up and ask, but if it's in the manual you are in the right when it comes to HR. Best of luck!
    Thanks! And thanks for sharing your story

I guess I just needed to know "I'm not alone" even though I *know* I'm not. I'm the only woman at work pumping, from what I've gathered from talking to the women I work with I'm the only one who pumped while working, I was raised by a SAHM who FF all us (which there is nothing wrong about either of those things, just that I have no 'example' to follow/anywhere to get good advice from re: working away from home, BF).

No, it's not all that hard, it just feels so...isolating. Having to turn down my coworkers when they want to lunch or break together, locking myself in an office. And yeah, it's not really that demanding of a job but I still find myself feeling guilty for taking myself off the floor when there's work to be done (especially since I got an earful about how I need to step it up and be more assertive with the team each night...ironic right? be more assertive?).

I guess ultimately my issue is combining the role I've know for years---working woman---and integrating it with my new role---mother.

If you're getting your mandated breaks, then at least you have the time to pump, which is better than a lot of teachers/nurses. Most big corporations are really good about making sure that their empoyees take their required breaks, because they can get in a lot of trouble if they don't. Then the concern is whether you're given an adequate space.

I know it can be pretty tough on people who basically run their own retail business, because they're not getting many breaks (or any) at all. Similarly, some restaurants are pretty understaffed and wait staff don't get much by way of breaks.

I totally feel you on feeling isolated because you're pumping. I don't work in retail, but I pumped on my lunch break for 10 months, and the hardest part was not being able to be social during that time. It was hard, but it was temporary. It's not forever. The first year will fly by before you know it, and then you can continue to breastfeed (if you choose) without pumping.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.