Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Venting about full boobs

Default Venting about full boobs

DS is 8 weeks old. I'm pretty sure I have an OS issue, and I've been managing it pretty well - he only nurses on one side and lately the frequency is about every 2 hours during the day. But at night he'll go about 4-5 hours. Just when I think things are settling down (boobs don't feel as full, good poop color), he'll nurse every hour in the evenings AND on both sides and then my boobs get SUPER full at night. Add in that sometimes he won't 'finish' a side bc he falls back asleep and it's uncomfortable!

So does it make sense to have over supply in the mornings (nursing on one side only) and what appears to be a normal supply in the evenings (nursing on both sides)?
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12

Default Re: Venting about full boobs

Yes, what you describe is entirely normal. Hormone levels naturally fluctuate throughout the day, with levels of prolactin (the milk-making hormone) typically highest in the wee hours of the night/morning, and falling to their nadir in the late afternoon/evening. This means that many moms notice the highest supply in the mornings and lowest supply in the evenings, and that many babies who nurse only on one breast in the morning need both breasts by the time the afternoon rolls around.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I had morning fullness too.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Does it go away eventually? I have to let my initial let down spray into a diaper, so he doesn't choke and to make sure he gets the fatty stuff. It'd be nice to not have to do that anymore...
    Becky

Mommy to Owen b. 4/20/12

Yes, as long as you simply nurse on demand you will eventually train your body to make just the right amount of milk for a given time of day.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Additionally, your baby will be able to cope with the fast flow better as he grows. I had an insanely fast letdown even after the oversupply was under control and the engorgement went away, but my son had no problems with it once he got a little bigger.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).