Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bleb-Thrush Cycle??

Default Bleb-Thrush Cycle??

Hi, my baby is 3 months old and weighs 11 lb 8 oz. She was 6 lb 7 oz at birth. She's gained slowly. I blockfed for oversupply and OALD and have since stopped and things have been going ok. I take a TON of lecithin for clogged ducts... like 5 or 6 a day. I get blebs all the time and have to pop them and work them out. It's so painful. And I've been treated for thrush 3 times. So breastfeeding is still very painful. I want to stop the bleb-thrush cycle... I feel like they might be related to each other? I only nurse using cross-cradle and football... I'm trying to get cradle and side-lying down, but it's hard because my breasts are so large. I worry that my latch could be off, causing blebs? And I've only treated the baby twice for thrush because she shows no signs... but could she be passing it back to me? Please advise, I don't want to give up... I'm trying to believe this can get better!

Default Re: Bleb-Thrush Cycle??

Big hugs, mamma!
    I wish there was some way to get past all the obstacles and reap all the benefits instead.
    thinking about the positive impact breastfeeding has on your daughter's health can help you get through the hard times.
    you are probably tired of hearing "breastfeeding should not be painful" but it's true. you deserve to be in bliss. You deserve to feel the warm rush of breastfeeding hormones and the tender glow they impart.
    You deserve to get one on one hands on attention from a IBCLC lactation consultant.
    The literature does support your theory that thrush is passed back and forth from baby to mother,
    you can get better.
    This website has information on blebs and information on thrush.. scroll up to the grey Resources tab.
    Good luck and good health!
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Default Re: Bleb-Thrush Cycle??

Frequent blebs are often related to latch issues. Latch issues can also cause vasospasms (http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...ple-blanching/) which are often mistaken for thrush.

Can you tell us exactly what you are experiencing that is making you think you're coming down with repeated bouts of thrush? It is quite possible that your baby is giving you thrush over and over again- it is very common for one member of the nursing pair to be asymptomatic though both are infected.

Don't give up! 3 months is very early on and breastfeeding really does get better with time.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"