Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Poop still green on day 6

Default Poop still green on day 6

I know there are a ton of posts about green poop. My son is 6days old. He is pooping and peeing well and has started gaining weight. However, I'm still not seeing mustardy yellow. His are still on the green side or maybe green with a hint of yellow.
    People have suggested foremilk and I try to keep him on one side for long, but he falls asleep easily - he is only 6 days old.
    I honestly don't think it is too much foremilk. it's not frothy.
    Is it possible that it's still transition poop??
    Thanks

Default Re: Poop still green on day 6

Congratulations on your new little one!

Unless your baby is showing signs of discomfort, I wouldn't worry about the green poop. There is a lot of variability in normal poop colors, and green is within that range. Oversupply can cause green poops, but it's only a real concern when it is accompanied by excessive gas and discomfort. You can keep offering one breast for an entire feed, switching sides for the next feed, if your baby seems content with that. If it is a touch of oversupply causing the green poop, then doing that will probably be enough to get your milk supply to sync up with your baby's needs; it can just take a little time for that to happen.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thanks. I would be shocked to have over supply as this is my third and I've never had a great supply.
    I do notice a quick letdown though.
    I'm going to try longer feedings on each side.

I've heard that overactive letdown can cause green poops even without the oversupply. Nursing in a reclined position can help with the fast flow. I had a letdown that sprayed across the room, and nursing while reclined was a must for me. At any rate the green isn't a problem unless it is accompanied by other overactive letdown issues like painful gas, trouble latching, etc. It sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on things and I don't think there is any reason for concern.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Have you had his weight checked recently? Green poops are often a sign of oversupply, but they can also indicate that baby is not getting enough to eat. This can be a particular problem with very sleepy newborns. Also, how many times does your baby nurse in a 24 hour period?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Baby gained 2oz from day 3 to day 5. Getting weight check again on Monday.
    He is only the boob pretty much constantly but he nurse-sleeps a lot of the time.

Since he's so sleepy, here are some things you can do to get him to wake up more:
    - Annoy him. Tickle the soles of his feet with your finger or a cool, damp washcloth, or rub againt the grain of his hair.
    - Keep him cool- a cool baby is often more alert. Keep a fan on in the room where you nurse, dress baby lightly or strip him down to a diaper.
    - Keep the light dim or moderate- newborns sometimes close their eyes in response to bright light.
    - Switch nursing: when baby seems to be dozing off at the breast, take him off the breast, burp him well, change his diaper, and switch him to the other side. Repeat the process until baby will nolonger wake.
    - Do breast compressions to keep milk flowing to the baby even when he is starting to doze.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks. I definitely do a lot of that to keep him awake. But if I switch sides, won't that interfere with him getting enough hind milk?
    I'm trying to nurse him longer on a side incase that is the issue.

Some sources say green isin the realm of normal while others say it indicates a problem. Nt sure why this is. I'm about to post a pic of his poop!

there's really no such thing as foremilk/hindmilk. when milk sits in the breast for a long time, it separates (just like non-homogenized cow milk in your fridge) and the fats cling to the milk ducts. then when you nurse, the milk that comes out first is less-fatty, until the milk mixes up again and you get more-fatty milk. all that milk is good for babies, and the fat % changes gradually. in general people worry too much about this issue.

milk takes time to separate, so the more frequently you're nursing, the less difference there will be between early and later milk in each session. so by keeping him on one breast, you're actually allowing the milk in the other breast more time to separate. this is all to say, don't let foremilk/hindmilk be the thing that dictates how your nursing session goes.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Some sources say green isin the realm of normal while others say it indicates a problem. Nt sure why this is. I'm about to post a pic of his poop!
    It's because both are true, green can be normal or it can be an indication of a problem. Also "green" is often in the eye of the beholder. And poops can go through some interesting shades during the transition from colustrum to "mature" milk.

I would say, if baby is gaining appropriately and shows no signs of distress, green is nothing to worry about.