Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Green Poop

Smile Green Poop

I posted before at http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...88#post1268988 that my daughter was slow to gain weight. We were having to supplement with 1-2 ounces of formula a day. Boo!!

My OB and I discussed PCOS and hypoplastic breasts and he put me on Metformin. I'm now making more milk and I have enough to feed her and then some. I've got my first 3 bottles in the fridge! I'm so thrilled to have enough milk for my baby and, now at 3 weeks old, she got back to her birthweight and now she's working on 8lbs.

There's a problem, though. Her poop has changed from mustard-colored to green. I try to keep her on one breast until she's finished with it but she's still having green poop. Should I pump BEFORE nursing her for a few mins each time? What should I do? We nurse very often, every 2 hours max during the day (usually).
    Last edited by @llli*texaslady22; June 16th, 2012 at 12:28 PM.

Default Re: Green Poop

Green poop in and of itself isn't a problem. Green falls within the range of normal colors. It very well could be a function of oversupply, but the green foamy oversupply poops are usually only a concern when the baby is experiencing excessive gassiness and discomfort. I would stay the course if your only concern is poop color and baby seems happy. You can try offering the same breast for two feedings then switching sides, but I probably wouldn't get too aggressive with block feeding because you've dealt with low supply before and don't want to return to that. Nursing on the one breast per feeding may work if you give it a little more time.

I definitely wouldn't pump. That will only make things worse. Pumping tells your body to make more milk, so eventually you need to pump more, which makes for more milk, and so on.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Default Re: Green Poop

Oh - and congrats on getting off the supplements!!! Great job sticking with it and finding a solution! Green poops are nothing in comparison to what you've already overcome! In fact they well may be entirely nothing at all.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).