Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 6 weeks & struggling - poor latch, tongue tie *LONG*

Default Re: 6 weeks & struggling - poor latch, tongue tie *LONG*

Either hospital grade pump is fine. And make sure your horns are the right size. Pump every 2 hours. Yes, this is a drag. But when a mom is essentially relying on a pump to maintain a milk supply you have to pump. A lot. Aim for 120 minutes of pumping every 24 hours. This means you must et up at least once between midnight and 5 am. Once he is able to nurse better, you can start backing down on pumping and slowly cut that out.

Keep trying to latch hm on, even decide to finish each feeding at the breast. This keeps his interest in breastfeeding up, or you will be trapped into EPing.

I would look into the TT again, as it isn't unheard of for it to need a second clip.

Don't give up hope. There are several mothers who have had a lot of trouble and survived.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Here's a good video from Dr Kotlow showing aftercare stretching exercises. The idea is to stretch as far as the area will go to retain the new range of motion, and to massage the wound site to prevent or break up scar tissue formation. My handout said to do it several times a day for 2 weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62pZw...e_gdata_player
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Thank you both for the advice.

Aprilsmagic, I have arranged to rent an Ameda Elite hospital grade pump and my husband is picking it up today. Hopefully it will allow me to get more milk, I already feel like my supply is diminishing I think I am just about pumping enough - I try to do it each time Toby feeds (so around every 2-3 hours), including several times at night (usually 12.30 am, 4 am, 6.30 am). I am trying to latch him on too, but apart from 2 days ago, he hasn't managed it yet, and we are not doing much breastfeeding because he can't maintain the shallow latch he does have, or it is too painful to continue. He is still definitely interested in the breast though!

Duckpond, I have watched that video and we are trying to do the exercises, it's not always that easy to stretch the tongue though. I have looked at the wound and there is a small white area. I am scared we didn't start the exercises soon enough (he was clipped 3 days ago) and that scar tissue is forming already, although I don't know how I would tell - I am so worried about it not working for the second time, especially considering he still can't latch on.

I just feel so sorry for my little baby and so sad about the whole thing I don't know how much longer we should give it before we accept defeat

Mama, don't accept defeat yet. It's still early, early on and there is every chance that someday soon everything will click and you'll never have another problem. We completely understand how difficult this is for you, and how hard you are working to make this happen. Just keep your chin up and be proud of yourself. A lot of other women who end up in your shoes just simply give up, and you haven't. That says a lot about you- and it's all good.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you Does anyone have any tips on how to keep going though? I am trying to stay positive but am so, so unhappy.

Just keep going. I HAD to EP. My baby could not nurse. There was virtually no hope for it. I tried everything to get him to nurse. I was incredibly sad. I cried for months, and i was crying about it again just last night.

But....you might be able to! Have the TT re-evaluated. Keep working on it. Here, there are several mother's who had to EP for a few months before baby could latch and stay latched. It's early yet. Don't be discouraged. You have a chance.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

http://www.birthmate.co.uk/blog/?p=3 saw this and thought of you. You have a writing style as if you are from the UK. Something in here might be of use
    Susan

Just take it one day at a time. Don't think depressing thoughts like "How am I going to make it to a year" (or whatever goal you have in mind). Do get help around the house. You have a full time job taking care of the baby and trying to get nursing to work- you should not be cooking anything more complicated than a sandwich or cleaning anything more time-consuming than your own teeth. Don't focus on "failure"- focus on the success you are having in giving your baby breastmilk! And remember that the newborn period is hectic and often plain awful for everyone. It's not necessarily the rosy bonding experience you imagined when pregnant. I always thought that bonding with my first baby was going to be nonstop positive, lovey-dovey, peaceful emotions. Instead, it was more like my baby and I went through a war together. There was pain, and fear, and sadness, and lots and lots of crying on both our parts. But we got through it and it produced an unshakeable bond.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*indigoelectron View Post
    Thank you Does anyone have any tips on how to keep going though? I am trying to stay positive but am so, so unhappy.
    Sorry you are going thru such a rough patch mama! What is working for me right now is taking it one day at a time. My goal is to make it thru the day. Then the next and so on. Before you know it, you've made it thru a week, then a month.....then someday (hopefully) things will be going smoothly and we will look back on these days and be proud that we plowed thru the obstacles and not only survived, but are all the more stronger from the experience. Keep doing what you are doing...come here for advice and support...it definitely helps with the morale. Good luck mama!!

That is really good advice, and sorry to hear what you both went through. I can just about manage it day to day, it is the long term that depresses me. I suppose I should just try to be grateful for what I have - a gorgeous healthy son who smiles at me every day and enjoys my milk

Aprilsmagic, that link was really good but I can't believe how long she persevered! I have emailed Dr Kotlow as apparently he has trained some UK dentists, they may be able to give me a second opinion.