Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 weeks old and seems like three weeks of problems

Default 3 weeks old and seems like three weeks of problems

Hello! This is my first post here, but I have greatly benefitted from reading all of the different advice that you wonderful ladies have offered other mothers! Thank you so much! I would really appreciate some assistance with my new set of challenges. I keep trying to tell myself that these too will pass, but it is difficult!
    My baby will be four weeks on Monday, and I feel like we have had different problems from the day she was born! She first had problems with weight gain, and we were told to supplement with formula (which I didn’t do because she refused bottles, and when my milk came in, she seemed to be satisfied with it). She now has gained about an ounce a day, which her doctor says is perfect. Then she had problems with reflux, and I would get at least one milk bath a day. She was put on zantac (or the children’s version), and she now only spits up a small amount. Now she seems to have tremendous gas pains, especially at night, and she seems to really hate eating from one side.
    For the past few nights, I have woken up to her screaming in pain (or at least it sounds like that to me). Her little tummy will be very hard, and she will be kicking her legs out. I will try to massage her belly and/or bicycle pedal her legs, but it doesn’t seem to help. Usually I just end up feeding her because it seems to calm her down for an hour or so, but then she wakes up screaming again. She does not really fall asleep again until around 10-11am when she will have a huge poop. It is usually mustard colored and almost entirely liquid. Do any of you know of anything I can do to help her at night? Could it be something that I have eaten that would upset her tummy so much? I have not changed my diet, and these gas pains seem new, so I am not sure if it has to do with my diet.
    Also, she will get very angry when I try to feed her from my left side. I was only feeding her from one side at a time and burping her every 5 minutes because of the reflux issue, but now if I start with the left side, she will eat for about 5 minutes, then grab on to my nipple and pull back and forth. I will then take her off and try to burp her, but she will start crying. When I try to put her back on, she will cry while eating and then start pulling at my nipple again. If I switch sides though, she will be happy again and eat until she’s full. Any ideas about what’s going on? I do think that I might have OALD or over supply because my right side is like a fire hose and will squirt milk every where. My left side does leak, but it is not as active. Perhaps that is it?
    I am sorry for the long post! I appreciate any advice!

Default Re: 3 weeks old and seems like three weeks of problems

Forceful letdown could explain some of this, so trying things to help baby handle the flow makes sense. I would hold off on block feeding just yet, that will lower your supply and at this age, it is too early to tell if oversupply is part of the problem.

I also would suggest talking to your ped about the reflux meds. I take a different PPI (Prevacid) for adult GERD and it definitely has the side affect of affecting lower digestion. - I had to adjust my dose way down or had pain and other issues.

Spit up, even copious spit up, is normal, and unless it was painful for baby, does not warrant meds, imo. And both my kids were diagnosed with GERD so I know a bit about this-one thing that shocked me is the dosage they were prescribed, which was the same as my adjusted adult dosage. Forceful letdown also explains the giant spit ups and is easily fixed with no meds. And unfortunately, doctors tend to not be aware of forceful letdwon, and instead diagnose reflux meds or restrict moms diet when forceful letdown is much more commonly the real culprit.

GERD: Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease: Painful, may require meds
    Reflux: Spit up, Normal in young babies, usually not painful, does not require meds.

good forceful letdown info: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; July 5th, 2012 at 02:41 PM.

OALD would explain what you are dealing with. Try nursing in a relined position. I had to give a tummy massage followed by leg bicycling between every feeding, long before my son was already in pain. Once the gas has built up, it is going to cause pain no matter what you do. Working on the gas just a tiny bit at a time throughout the day can make a big difference at night.

Night time fussiness is really common at that age. My son would scream from midnight until 4 a.m. every night. All I could do was walk around the house/deck with him in a sling, singing and nursing. It resolved itself eventually.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

I am very new to BF and have had considerable problems myself, but I noticed that my baby would also prefer one side, and he would also prefer to turn his head to one side when he was lying down. We saw a lactation consultant and an osteopath, and they suggested that he had some tightness which was probably due to his forceps delivery, and it might be painful for him to nurse on one side. We have been having sessions of cranial osteopathy and he will now nurse on both sides and turn his head to both sides quite happily

Did you have an assisted delivery? If so, it might be related.

Thank you for the advice! I really thought that her spitting up was a result of my milk production/let down, but since she was in pain, the doctor suggested the meds. I will call the advice line, and see if they can offer me any other assistance, i.e. stop the meds or change the meds.
    I did just give her a tummy massage to show my husband how we could help her now, so she's not in as much pain at night, and she let some gas out I guess it helped! It also proved that it might help her to my skeptical husband.
    I did not have an assisted delivery, and she was eating just fine from the left side up until yesterday, so I am not sure what is going on!

Work on the gas all day long. There will probably still be evening fussiness, but it should help with some of the gas pain.

My son had a side preference, and I think it was just an asymmetry thing. I tried some different positions on that side, bounced him on my knee while he nursed on that side so that he would stay latched, and just kept at it with him.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).