Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Must babies put on weight every week?

Default Must babies put on weight every week?

My 16 week old has not been putting on weight for 2 weeks. There is no change to the way i feed him, and his diaper outputs are good as usual. I breastfeed him on demand. In fact I don't even wait for him to demand. He has not learned to crawl yet.
    Should I be concerned?

Default Re: Must babies put on weight every week?

No, not at this point. The rate of weight gain varies from day to day, week to week, and month to month. Sometimes the baby will devote more calories to growing lengthwise or to motion (reaching, kicking, rolling, crawling, etc.) than to weight, and may pause for a while in one dimension while growing in another. This is why people are not advised to weigh their babies every week: if you zoom in too closely on the data, you can freak out over normal variations.

If the baby pauses in all dimensions, and for a significant time, then you get concerned.

How are you weighing your baby? On a regular bathroom scale?

Yes it's just a regular bathroom scale. I know it is not very accurate but I use it just to see if my lo is gaining, not so much on exactly how much. So far he has been gaining till now.
    I do *think* that he is longer, though I did not measure him. That is why I am more puzzled about him becoming longer but no additional mass...
    On he other hand, he is rolling over and kicking a lot lately, as if he is trying to stand up! His legs just will not stop kicking and I must say those kicks to my stomach are quite painful! As if I did not have enough of his kicks already when he was still inside me!

Okay, I'd probably put at least some of the blame on that bathroom scale, then.

Also, really active babies tend to lean out faster than their more sedentary peers. A very typical weight gain pattern for a breastfed baby is for the baby to gain relatively rapidly in the first few months of life, and then for weight gain to slow way down as he gets more active and starts devoting more calories to motion instead of packing them on as fat. So don't be too surprised if your baby has dropped some percentiles on the weight-for-age charts, the next time you take him in to the pediatrician.