Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sucking Fingers/ Hand

Default Sucking Fingers/ Hand

Hi there,

My DD is 3.5 months and I noticed she is starting to suck her fingers- not just the thumbs, and sometimes even her whole hand. She has been doing this a great deal more these last couple of days. I feel it's okay but DH doesn't like it and always takes her hands away whenever he sees her doing it.
    A neighbour told us it could be she's teething and to give her a teether.
    Thing is, she hasn't been fussy at all and as far as I know babies who are teething are fussy, is this correct?
    Nways, when she was 4 weeks old, I offered her a paci but she kept rejecting it so after a week, I just stopped offering and just continued comfort nursing although my nipples were sore. I still let her comfort suck up to now. Which is why I'm baffled as to why she sucks her hands, I mean just now, after feeding her from both breasts, she pulled away and obviously I thought she's already satisfied... but then after a few seconds she starts sucking her fingers... so I offered a breast again which she took only for a few seconds and pulled away again only to suck her fingers some more...

My question is, is this the normal age range for babies to suck their fingers? Should I discourage her?
    Thanks for all your help...

Default Re: Sucking Fingers/ Hand

this is totally normal, and it doesn't make sense to me to discourage her from it. why doesn't DH like it? i suppose you can continue trying to offer other things, to see if she finds one she likes, but it's not like you can keep her hands from her if that's what she wants. there's nothing wrong with it; teething/chewing/mouthing is a normal developmental stage.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

with the PP. Babies go through a process of "discovering" their own hands. Maneuvering their hands into their mouths is an exciting learning experience for babies. It doesn't have much to do with thumb-sucking later on, if that's what your DH is worried about. And a baby's hand is usually cleaner than a teether or pacifier, because babies don't fall on the floor the way objects do!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

wow, thanks, this is very re-assuring. I normally follow my instinct on things, and my gut-feeling with this one is that it is natural and okay... however, DH thinks its very unhygienic and unsightly and probably thinks he should start 'teaching' her 'manners' at 3.5 months!!! Thanks for confirming my initial thoughts on the matter!

If he thinks that's unhygienic, he's in for a real treat once she hits the toddler years! It's best to get over these things now before the dirt and wood chip and who knows what else eating commences. No matter how fast you are, you're never fast enough to stop it all.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    No matter how fast you are, you're never fast enough to stop it all.
    Ain't that the truth! I remember the time my DD1 dug a piece of cat poop out of the sandbox at the park, picked it up, and ran over to me saying "What dis, mommy?" while I was frantically waving my hands and saying "No, no, nooooooo! Yuckeeeee!"
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Agree pp. My son is 6 months and he sucks his thumb to sooth himself to sleep. He did start the hand mouth and finger thing at 3 months and last Saturday, he got his first tooth! not fussy at all, just the fingers and sometimes hand in mouth. Now for the second tooth; which came out three days later, he got really fussy and fevers.
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas

Agree with pp, babies suck their hands because they are hungry, to soothe themselves, because they discovered they have hands, or for no reason at all.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Sounds just like mine. He does it because he is teething but he won't take anything else. It makes him happy so we don't worry about it. I remember at that age though worrying about it meaning he was hungry. I quickly figured out what hand sucking meant hungry and what did not. I don't what it is exactly I just know.
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!

My DD3 is the same way. Feed her and she still does it. Offer the breast, pulls away, still does it. Its just the way she is. My other two did not do this at all. I think its partly personality. If she's fed and happy then go with it I guess.
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!