Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which breast pump to buy????

Smile Which breast pump to buy????

Hi guys-
    Need help!!!!!!

I am going to go back to work right away out of necessity. I will be pumping a lot! I Need a pump!!!

Can you give recommendations from your experience regarding electrical and/or hospital graded. Since I will be pumping at least 3-4 times a day, I need something durable and effective.

Please help!!

Default Re: Which breast pump to buy????

Hi, and welcome!

When you say "right away", what do you mean? Has your baby been born yet? What is your work schedule going to look like (hours away per day, per week).

Mamas who work should have a professional grade double-electric pump. Mamas who exclusively pump (doesn't sound like you) need a hospital grade.

But tell us more and we can help you strategize about how this will all work!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I am 6 months pregnant. When I give birth, I will need to get back to work right away out of necessity. I will have to start pumping to keep a feeding schedule and milk production high. I am planning on feeding breast milk as long as I can.
    Last pregnancy I was able to stay at home and breast feed my daughter for 8 months more than 6 years ago. So I never looked into a fancier option then a basic avent for once in a blue moon pumping session.

This time around its going to be much different from the get go. I need a pump....a very good one on top of that to get the job done.

I am reading about rentals on some links.... I don't understand the abbreviations ;-) but basically can u recommend dual breast personal to purchase and some rental options (local or over the net) so I can inquire more regarding that option.
    What are some good rental pumps from the group concesus?
    Is there a good website for rental or only local hospitals rent?

I have an Ameda Purely Yours and it worked out just fine for me, but I was only away from my baby 3 days a week. Some full time mamas like it others don't. I've heard good things about the Medela Pump in Style Advanced.

Around here you can rent hospital grade pumps from your local pharmacy. I know a couple people who have rented the Medela Symphony and liked it very well.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Thanks for giving out ur personal experience :-)

I am going back and forth every ten minutes regarding efficiency of a rental vs purchasing one.

The hospital grade pumps are way more comfortable from my experience, but it gets really expensive to rent one for a whole year. If you can afford it, then go for it. If not, then one of the professional grade pumps I mentioned should be fine if you are pumping 3x a day, 5 days a week. If you are working more than that, you might want to invest in the hospital grade.

There are some other mamas here who have used other pumps too, with varying degrees of success, and I'm sure they will jump in here too. Probably tomorrow while pumping at work.

Yeah, the hospital grade rental cost me about $900 for a year. get with a local IBCLC and she can set you up with one.

I have a Limerick, which is a hospital grade pump, and you can buy the whole setup for about $600 on their website.

Many moms like Medela, but there are equally good options out there. You could look at Hygeia, and if I was not EPing and was a Ft working mom, I would have that one.

When you say right away...you do know you have to recover, right? Like you need a few weeks to even be able to function postpartum.

I'm worried for you.

But I have a friend who went back to work when her LO was 3 weeks old. She has a Hygeia, and she has successfully nursed and pumped for 17 months. It can be done. She breastfed only when she was home, no bottles at home ever if she was there.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

What's ibclc? And LO? :-) sorry I don't have all the abbreviations figured out yet.

IBCLC = International Board Certified Lactation Consultant, a lactation consultant who has met certain educational, clinical, and examination requirements.

LO = little one

Thanks guys :-)