Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weird pain - any ideas?

Default weird pain - any ideas?

For the last few days I've been having a sharpish pain on one side of my left breast while feeding. At first I suspected my toothy toddler's latch was to blame, but there are no teeth marks, and actually it hurts more than a bit of top teeth leaning on my nipple. I felt around and couldn't identify any taught skin, positioned and no change. There are no lumps, redness, or hot places, no tenderness to the touch when he's not feeding, no nipple soreness.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by @llli*littlegreen; June 16th, 2012 at 01:55 PM.

Default Re: weird pain - any ideas?

So the pain is only present while baby nurses? Hmmm. Could it be a version of letdown sensation? Baby is not reaching over and surreptitiously pinching you somehow? One of mine liked to pinch for a time…

No, definitely not pinching, but I wouldn't put that past him so i'll keep it in mind! :-). Also don't think it has to do with letdown, it starts as soon as he latches on, and is worst then, and the continues as long as he is latched on. And it's getting worse so I'm wondering if I might have something like a blocked duct, if this is possible with no tenderness to the touch? That or something with his latch I can't figure out. I don't think so, though, as it's only on one side and always in the same area (even when I change his position). It's bad enough now it's almost putting me off a bit, though I am of course continuing nursing that side.
    Last edited by @llli*littlegreen; June 16th, 2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: added some info

Huh. This is a head scatcher. Yeah, I would suspect a plugged duct too, maybe it's so darn deep you cannot feel it when you touch your breast?

here is the best info I know of online for pluggs: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/

and http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...plugsblebs.pdf

Thanks! I'll have a look at those links. Starting to feel a slight tenderness to the touch but just around the nipple area. Still wondering whether maybe there's some bruising or something I can't see from a funny latch I didn't notice. Taking paracetamol to take the edge off the pain when nursing and will keep an eye on it over the next few days.

Just had a look at those, and do think maybe it could be a plug. My son has (finally, at 17 months!) started sleeping some longer 6 to 8 hour stretches at night in the last couple of weeks, but ironically i'm not sleeping so well, so could be lack of milk removal and fatigue. Will treat it as one and see what happens. Thanks again for the response, much appreciated!

Think I've found it! There's a tiny bump just behind my nipple. Hope that means it's on its way out