Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: bought an extra freezer for milk

Default bought an extra freezer for milk

I'm not sure how i'll organize it. U think the milk I pumped in Jan. Is still good? I guess i'll just give her some and find out if she likes it. I've been sending fresh BM bottles to daycare. I don't think we'll ever be able to use up the frozen milk since it'll probably go bad. I just make more than she can drink. Also started dumping the foremilk and just saving the precious hindmilk.

Default Re: bought an extra freezer for milk

hi mama!

why are you pumping so much to save up so much milk? i'm wondering if you can back off a little (slowly, so you don't get engorged), and stop saving? also wondering if you can donate some of that stash to someone who needs it? standard freezers will keep milk for 3-4 months, so you're really pushing it on january's milk already. perhaps you could donate all of jan through may's milk now to someone who will go through it much faster than you are? you can find someone locally through human milk for human babies (hm4hb) or eats on feet on facebook; in principle you can also donate to HBMANA milk banks, though they will likely not take such old milk.

the suggestion i have heard about imbalanced fats in milk is to save up all the milk from the day in one container, so it mixes, then re-parcel for freezing. the foremilk is precious too!

i totally get wanting to have a big stash - i did this too - it made me feel in control - but it sounds like maybe you're going a little overboard? i mean that in the nicest possible way
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

with all of the above.

Foremilk contains lots of necessary vitamins and proteins:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/54...s-of-foremilk/

The milk composition through the entire feed provides the perfect balance of fats, nutrients, growth and immune factors. Removing the thinner milk removes important nutrients.

I had oversupply for several months and when pumping did as suggested above, combined all of my milk for the day. Even with extreme oversupply and foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, the solution is never to remove foremilk. The solution is to block feed so that the baby still gets both the more watery milk from the breast when it is more full and the more fatty milk from the breast when it is more empty. It can just take multiple feedings for that to happen in an oversupply situation.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Oh mama, stop dumping foremilk. You should NOT do that, but instead, take all the milk you pumped that day and mix the bottles. This balances the fats out and makes it all even. The foremilk does offer thirst quenching qualities. And really, there is NO foremilk versus hindmilk, it's not like a switch goes on. It just gradually changes over after a few ml to a fattier content in the milk.

Why are you pumping so much?

I have to EP, and when I filled my freezer, I backed off to pumping what my baby needed that day. I donated my freezer stash and I'm using the rest to extend my fresh milk, as fresh is ALWAYS better than frozen. Freezing kills off good stuff.

But if you are just pumping at work, you could try to back off a bit.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I don't even pump at work. Not trying to save up anymore either. It's just that I produce too much milk and I cannot throw it away. I'll look into donating some of it. Good suggestion. Somebody told me the local hospital NICU might take it.

Check into Human Milk 4 Human Babies or Eats on Feets if a milk bank won't take it. You will likely have to look past your local hospital for a milk bank. Most hospitals don't have one. Milk banks process and provide the milk to the NICUs. You can google milk bank and your state and see what is up.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Yes that they all said. Donating is great if you have milk that needs to be used ASAP and you wont use it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*munchie.s.mom View Post
    I'm not sure how i'll organize it.
    I freeze all my bags flat so that they take up less space in the freezer. I then store a day-week in gallon zip locks depending on how many bags I have and what fits. Then write on the Ziploc what dates are in there. I also have an app on my phone to tell me how much I have down there. This is what I did when I had a large stash.

I have donated much of my milk and now have a manageable 150oz in the deep freeze. I now use plastic shoe boxes to store my bags in. I always store the same size bags if I can, making pulling easier for me. I label the boxes with painters tape with the dates that is in each box. This has been the best way for me and this is how I will do it next time around.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude