Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Startig solids - How to keep Milk Supply up?

Default Startig solids - How to keep Milk Supply up?

So my DS is 6 months today and the pediatrician said to start solids.
    He gave us some sort of guidelines and I see that in 4 weeks (at 7 months) baby should be having 2 pureed veggie and meat meals and 1 yogurt or cereal meal.
    He also included BF twice a day (morning and afternoon) !???
    Does this seem like totally idiotic or is it just me? How on earth am I supposed to keep breatsfeeding if I only feed baby twice a day? This is likely to ruin my supply, right?
    My goal is to BF until he is 1 at least...
    How many times should I BF in order to keep some sort of supply while we start solids? What would be a reasonable "schedule" for combining BF ad solids?
    Thanks a lot for your help!

Default Re: Startig solids - How to keep Milk Supply up?

totally idiotic. the AAP recommends that milk/formula is baby's primary food till 12 months. so always nurse first, on demand just like i assume you have been, then offer solids. many babies are not taking much if any of their calories from food till at least a year. the LLL slogan is "under 1, just for fun" - texture, taste, etc - but not calories. and yes, i think your pedi's suggestions will tank your supply.

also there is no reason babies need to ever get purees, unless you want to feed them. check out the posts on "baby led solids" or "baby led weaning" - it is SO easy and my DS loves it; his first favorite food was broccoli. (now ALL foods are his favorite )
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

It's best to nurse on demand the entire first year. I'm still nursing on demand (for the most part, I occasionally offer a snack if my son asks to nurse again immediately after nursing) at 19 months. Always nurse first then offer solids for the first year. BLS/BLW is a great approach. I love that the baby has complete control over what and how much to eat. It jives really well with breastfeeding, and there is a lot of evidence that allowing a baby to control his/her own food intake is associated with lower probabilities of obesity later in life.
    K. Sophia - Mama to my little lactivore, the amazing Mr. X (11/10).

Breastfeed just 2 times per day at 7 months??! Hermione, next time you stop in take a close look at thisdiploma medical diploma, and make sure it's not written in crayon. Seriously, that advice is completely moronic. It's geared towards getting your baby weaned as quickly as possible, probably well before a year, and it will trash your milk supply. As the PPs said, continue to nurse on demand until age one, after which you can continue to nurse on demand or you can cut down on nursing sessions- it's your choice at that point. Until the first birthday, solids should be for fun with new tastes, textures, and motor skills only. They are not nutritionally necessary until somewhere around age one, and many babies show little interest in solid foods until well into their second year.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

And this is what most pediatricians advise around here... I just don't understand. Because he thinks he is BF friendly. Seriously...
    I'm just a bit worried because I'll only be home until baby is 9 months old. Then I have to go back to work and it'll be VERY hard to pump because I have 12 h shifts twice a week in the ER. So I'd like him to be well establish on solids because I won't be able to pump a lot, especially on those days. Is it likely he'll be established on solids by then if I start now? He's a major boob addict so maybe he'll be reverse cycling ...
    What do you ladies suggest?

Babies are very individual about solids. Some babies take to them early, and are eating large quantities within a short time of starting. Other babies show little or no interest in solids until well into their second year. There's no way to tell what sort of baby your baby is without waiting and seeing what happens, and there's no healthy way to force or hurry the transition to solids. So I would take a wait and see approach to this. If your baby is not eating a lot of solids by the time you go back to work, then pumping- probably more pumping than you want to do- is in your future.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"