Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No stool for 4 days?

Unhappy No stool for 4 days?

My daughter is nearly 3 months old. last week, she had two green small stools. She had two watery yellow stools after that. She refused to eat for two days (very little feeding) and then resumed her 24 hour feeding. But she hasn't had any stool for the past 4 days. She seems normal and her weight gain is fine, and has enough wet diapers. I tried to find out if she was sick but I did start taking garlic tablets which I think is why she refused to feed. She has a LOT of gas though. A lot more than before. I think that part of it is night feeding and me not burping her enough.

Default Re: No stool for 4 days?

It's perfectly normal for an exclusively breastfeed infant to go several days with out having a bm. So as long as she's having I beleive it's around 6 or more wet diapers and is gaining weight fine I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Hi There!

Are you still taking the garlic tablets? I'm assuming you've stopped, but if you haven't, they could be a source of her gas.

As the PP mentioned, it's often normal for babies this age to start to space out their bowel movements. Here is a good article on what is normal for breastfed baby diapers:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bm.html

As you've also noticed, the consistency and texture of the diaper can vary quite a bit too. As long as it's yellow most of the time, it should be fine. An occasional green stool is fine. If it's continually green, then that should be addressed.

You also mention gas. Burping after feedings may help, as you mentioned, though breastfed babies tend to swallow very little air. Usually as long as the baby can pass the gas and it isn't causing any pain, it isn't a problem. Some mothers notice their babies become a little gassier when the dirty diapers become more infrequent too. If you think it's a problem, you may want to closely watch your diet to see if you think anything you're eating could be bothering her.

Hope that helps!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

The stool changes paired with the decreased nursing has me thinking she had a mild illness. Many babies stools and feeding patterns change when they pick up a little virus. It's a possibility that she was only mildly sick from a virus for a couple of days. My second got colds more than my first as an infant because she was born shortly before the cold/flu season and she had an older brother carrying all kinds of germs from playdates and church. She often had green stools and a couple of times nursed less frequently when she had picked up a bug.

As she gets closer to the 4 month mark, her digestive system should be much more mature and most of the gas should subside by then. Some babies are just more gassy than others. Like Jen said, if it continues or is painful for her than you could consider evaluating your diet.
    Tanya, LLL Leader and Mama to three wonderful kids

Question Re: No stool for 4 days?

I've stopped the garlic tablets. I don't think that anything else changed in my diet. She is still gassy and smelly sometimes. Her rectal area is red and a little sore but I think that comes from too much gas too or maybe allergy? I will wait another day then call the doctor. Her activity level is fine. The gas is not painful to her.

Smile Re: No stool for 4 days?

Thanks everyone for the advice. My baby had a stool on the 7th day which was the same day the doctor told me he wanted to see her. She is fine so I guess that I should be happy that she is not soiling her diapers as much!

I just want everyone out there to know that it is normal for an exclusively breastfed baby to go even up to three weeks without a bowel movement. A breastfed baby may consume all that he/she is taking in.
    My son from about 4 weeks until I started giving him solids (approx 4.5 months) most often went 7-10 days between bowel movements and occasionally 14-21 days. I was so worried about him. One of the doctors at the clinic said if he seems to be feeling OK, has sufficient wet diapers, that he is not constipated and he is OK. Another doctor I saw at the clinic was really worried about him and said he was constipated and ordered bloodwork and wanted me to take him to the hospital to have some kind of enema done to him. I had the bloodwork done to ease my conscious but posponed the enema that sounded like it was going to be painful because besides getting a little fussy when he hasn't gone in so long seemed fine. I don't know why my doctors didn't have me just give him a little prune juice or a little rice cereal. I think the latter doctor was worried my son had Herchsprungs (sp?) syndrome or something where the nerves in the lower intestines are not developed enough to allow for regular bowel movements. I know he didn't have that because he was a pooping machine from birth till about 4 weeks. Nevertheless, he was and is fine. When I started giving him a little solids he started to poop somewhat regularly again. The clinic I took my son in has since had some training sessions on when an infant is considered to be constipated or not. As long as a babies poop is loose/pasty like exclusively breastfed baby poop is and the baby is not straining to get it out he/she is not considered to be constipated. Hope this helps someone out there. I know when my son was having this problem I looked all over the internet for an answer before I took my son into the doctor. There isn't much out there. Most of what you read will just scare you.
    I am not a health professional so if you are concerned about your child, please take him in to see a doctor.
    Last edited by glennysmom; March 4th, 2006 at 07:49 AM.